Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

Could someone tell me how to move a window from one viewport to another using the keyboard? Two ways: move the window and follow it to the new viewport -- move the window without following it.

It's just that I used these features all the time without having to find the mouse, find the workspace tile in dash and drag the window over...

The desktop cube isn't just "candy," it's a functional part of my daily use of Linux that positively distinguishes it from the other O/S's. Just one of the things that made Linux better as the best desktop UI available.

Unity seems to take away features to downgrade the experience to that of a Mac. Doesn't seem like a great strategy.

Beans
    Distro

'Course, now that I'm using this wall thing, I realize that I also can't switch viewports with the mousewheel or grab the desktop with the middle button and rotate it. Frustrating.

The nice thing about compiz is that it gives you choices. Linux: use the keyboard OR the mouse depending on what's convenient at the time. Mac: require the use of the keyboard AND the mouse to do some things irrespective of what's convenient to the user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by arpad9 View Post
    move the window and follow it to the new viewport
    Shift+Ctrl+Alt+arrow

move the window without following it
    As far as I know, there is no keyboard short-cut for this nor does Compiz provide an option.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

'Course, now that I'm using this wall thing, I realize that I also can't switch viewports with the mousewheel or grab the desktop with the middle button and rotate it.
    CompizConfig Settings Manager > Desktop > Rotate Cube > Bindings > Initiate > set whichever mouse button you prefer.

Be aware, as already stated in a previous post, that Desktop Cube in 12.04 is buggy. You may want to use normal Desktop Wall instead until it is fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Could someone tell me how to move a window from one viewport to another using the keyboard? Two ways: move the window and follow it to the new viewport -- move the window without following it.

You can right-click the window and send it to another desktop without following it; you should be able to create a hot-key combination for that...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
    You can right-click the window and send it to another desktop without following it; you should be able to create a hot-key combination for that...
    Oh, that's brilliant. Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    Shift+Ctrl+Alt+arrow

As far as I know, there is no keyboard short-cut for this nor does Compiz provide an option.
    I had Ctrl-Alt-<number> setup for moving with the window to desktops 1-6 and Ctrl-Alt-Shift-<number> for moving window without the desktop.

The net of my posts is that I see a lot of "people don't need to do this" style attitudes these days from FOSS projects. With deference to their efforts, I still thing this is wrong thinking. The beauty of compiz is/was it's nearly limitless options. Thank you for the suggestions, though, I'm getting there.

How many have used window grouping or the shelf? The entirety of the possibilities with Compiz lets people create desktop environments OSX and Windows users often don't even understand. "What was that???"

Getting a non-buggy Compiz cube back or less limited options for Unity or Gnome3 would be the most ideal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had Ctrl-Alt-<number> setup for moving with the window to desktops 1-6 and Ctrl-Alt-Shift-<number> for moving window without the desktop.
    In that case, you can create your own keystrokes in CCSM > Desktop > Rotate Cube > Bindings.

The net of my posts is that I see a lot of "people don't need to do this" style attitudes these days from FOSS projects.
    Yes, I think that may be to do with Ubuntu, which is in all honesty not targeted at people who want to do limitless customisations, but rather at "ordinary users" who just want to get on with their work.

How many have used window grouping or the shelf?
    Please explain; I have not come across those terms before.

Beans
    Distro

Compiz has "Group and Tab Windows," which allows you to group 2 or more windows together and then "spin" them. I usually only do 2 but hey, I'm a crazy person. I have a gnome-terminal with 11 screen sessions and a second terminal on the "back" of it with more screen sessions (for another project) and 6 desktops with other categorizations of work.

The Compiz Shelf allows you to miniaturize windows on your desktop to varying sizes, mapped to key strokes. So it's a kind of minimize but with the windows still organized, in front of you. Honestly, I've never used this too much but it's sorta cool and I could see how it might be useful. I separate by desktops instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I separate by desktops as well, and a useful function of the Unity bar (up 'til recently) was the ability to click on an icon and spin over to another desktop.

What I should do is make a button that spins to the next desktop...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast