Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see added or improved for Quantal Quetzal?

Beans

Re: What do you want to see added or improved for Quantal Quetzal?

Quote Originally Posted by bmbaker View Post
    i would really like the choice of desktop when installing ubuntu

unity or gnome-shell etc!!
    Why not also include KDE, LXDE, and XFCE, among these choices in a larger ISO that fits only on a DVD or larger USB? Then we would only need separate single editions for the "I only have CD" crowd.
    Wanted: Linux supported HD-SDI capture card to I-Frame-Only MP4 or VP8

Beans

Code:
    Why not also include KDE, LXDE, and XFCE, among these choices in a larger ISO that fits only on a DVD or larger USB? Then we would only need separate single editions for the "I only have CD" crowd.
    That option to choose which desktop is right there on the download page.
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can do that already, if you choose Try Ubuntu from the menu, then instead of rebooting when the install id finished, use the Software Centre to install additional DE's.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Focus on improved hardware detection

This will make it easier particularly for new *ubuntu users.

It is important to keep detection of older hardware, that is detected by previous versions. I think we have a chance to get many new users at the end of life of XP (2014). But it will be important that it is easy enough to get *ubuntu running on typical XP hardware.

It is important to detect new hardware. I know it is difficult, but it is very important. If new hardware won't work out of the box, *ubuntu is no alternative for most people with new computers.
    This idea was marked as already implemented at Ubuntu Brainstorm
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/29704/

and I understand that most of us think that it is important. But I think it is more important and suggest more focus on improved hardware detection:

More testing and feedback

I can help testing, and I think many other people also can help testing. Actually I have been beta-testing Lubuntu 12.04 i386. And I think that you (the Forum Community) and Canonical should promote or encourage more testing, as well as more actively respond to the feedback from the testers.

I am convinced that nobody has discussed chucking out detection of older hardware, yet I have seen it happen with every new version (my own experience as well as indicated by several threads in the Ubuntu Forums).

The reason why I push this question is that I really think it is more important than including new bells and whistles. Don't get me wrong, it is nice to have an attractive interface and new applications, but if people have problems installing or upgrading the operating system, it will never be used by them.

So what I want is more focus on this issue. I think it is highest priority to make it is straight-forward to install Ubuntu. It is obvious from the Ubuntu Forums, that many old users have problems with the new versions, and we can only guess how many people fail, when trying for the first time to test or install Ubuntu. An unknown percentage of these people ask for help at AskUbuntu or the Ubuntu Forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Moved to the Cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Improved window decorators. Mutter have had anti-aliased rounded corners since 3.2. It's time for Ubuntu to catch up. Replace compiz with mutter or write a new window decorator based on emerald or something.

Beans
    Distro

Not worried. I take one day at a time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

1. Add youtube search to the Video lens, and intergrate with VLC or Totem so that there is the option of watching streaming videos outside of the browser.

2. Add a lenses/scopes section to the Software Centre. Also make the Dash more customisable.

3. Make the Unity workspace switcher behave a bit more like the Unity-2D workplace switcher. The Unity-2D one works like Apple's exposé... but with multiple desktops.

4. The Music lens should search by filesystem path, as well as by metadata/Rhythmbox tags. Playlists should also be included in searches. Similarly, the Video lens should have metadata searches built into it.

5. I've had Ubuntu freeze on me and requiring a reboot three times in the week I've used 12.04, which is a problem I've never had before on any version of Ubuntu (from 8.04 onwards) on any computer I've used. Uh... fix that.

Beans
    Distro

a) An ati graphics card drive that actually works
    b) flickerfree bootup
    c) Even smoother unity experience
    d) No glitches at all, not one glitch, program crash, freeze, kernel crash etc
    e) all of the above.
    // Blog

Beans

I would like to see the follow improvements in Ubuntu.

- Polished UI. The look and feel of what you get from windows 7 or mac is richer compared to that of Ubuntu. Do not have to copy anything from mac or windows 7 but make the UI much richer.

- Touchpad gestures, something like in a macbook (i dont care if its a copy but I like this feature)

- Icons. Just like the UI, even the icons feel less richer compared to mac or windows.

- Default movie player. I know there is always an option to install other video players but the default Totem has such a boring UI. It feels like a player which would be used in a sci-fi movie made in 1947.

- Flexible unity launcher. Should be able to change the settings of the launcher easily, such as width, height, position.

The above are few basic changes which I have been looking for a long time now. Ubuntu has improved a lotttttttt when it comes to performance and features. But wish to see the above changes too in the next release.
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L | Processor: E7400 | Video Card: NVidia 8600GT | Monitor: BenQ G2410HD | OS: Ubuntu, XP, Snow Leopard, Windows 7, Windows Vista (yes, i have all installed in one system)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast