Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WiFi in 12.04 works, stops working, requires reboot

Beans

Re: WiFi in 12.04 works, stops working, requires reboot

FWIW, I can confirm that the problem has to do with the iwlwifi driver. I opened up my laptop and replaced the Intel 5100 WiFi adapter with a card having an Atheros chipset and all the above problems have vanished. Things are working as expected, even after numerous suspend and resume cycles.

$ lspci
    02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

It's not an ideal fix, but a half-mini PCI express card on eBay is <$10. For me, switching the cards was painless and sure beats reinstalling/downgrading.

Beans

I take it back. The same problem happened with the Atheros wifi card, though it only happened after 8-10 suspend/resume cycles, rather than just 1. But this time, I was able to fix it without rebooting because the problem is not the wireless hardware or driver. It is the ethernet driver:

$ lspci
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)

As mentioned in a previous post, something is not working as expected with the eth0 interface, resulting in quadrillions of errant packets after a resume from suspend-to-ram. So simply reloading the ethernet driver fixes all the networking problems for both ethernet and wifi:

$ sudo rmmod atl1c
    $ sudo modprobe atl1c

I've edited /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules and added

SUSPEND_MODULES="$SUSPEND_MODULES atl1c"

to see if this fixes the problem. And no, I do not intend to reinstall the Intel 5100 card to see if it works there too.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My problem is really getting out of hand, same as most above but after restarting for the third time today after only 8 mins uptime WHILE I was trying to put up a reply...

BTW it's worth noting Windows 7 dual-boot, Windows has no problems whatsoever. I have to log into Windows to get a stable internet connection.

The possible fix I posted? yeah, no. sorry still not working.
    Last edited by Starcruiser322; May 20th, 2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Update

Beans

There seems to be new updates every single day, and I can't say I have seen the issue crop up for a few days now. Can't confirm that the problem isn't still around, just have not observed it but that's a good sign.

Beans

Well, mine Inte 5100 AGN also loses randomly the wifi-connection. Sometimes after 5min, sometimes after 1 hour. Afte rlosing connection I have to reboot, to enable wifi again. I disabled the n-mode and all works fine. This problem is almost 3 years old, but I hoped it was fixed by now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sebl View Post
    Well, mine Inte 5100 AGN also loses randomly the wifi-connection. Sometimes after 5min, sometimes after 1 hour. Afte rlosing connection I have to reboot, to enable wifi again. I disabled the n-mode and all works fine. This problem is almost 3 years old, but I hoped it was fixed by now.
    I have this problem on a Thinkpad T500 with the Intel 5100. It is a nightmare at the school I am attending, but seems to work on everything else I have connected to (which is not a lot of places). To fix it, I have to reboot. I tried to connect to the school, it might connect, then it will stop while showing connected.

I tried to connect to my Verizon MIFI, but it would not until I rebooted. And then the MIFI worked as usual. If I figure something out I will update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In the meantime while I am currently sitting in the student union at the University, I stumbled across a post saying to disable the N on the Intel 5100 adapter. Must be an issue with iwlwifi because there are a bunch of problems on the net.

Basically the commands are these:
    sudo modprobe -r iwlwifi
    sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1

And so far the mighty T500 is staying connected to what was a very unstable connection just minutes before. I will update how the stability goes, but so far so good. Now I can view youtube with it halting also... Not that there's anything to watch on that thing...

Heres the link:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1978457

Lenovo T500
    Intel 5100 AGN wifi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I fixed my connection problem the hard way. I replaced the wifi card in the laptop with a SL500 card part number 43Y6511. I bought one off of Ebay for $6 delivered. It is half the length and the screws at the position on the frame are short. So the screws that hold in the 5100 card are too long to fit there. I pulled some out of an old CDROM from a really old Thinkpad.

This is the new card.
    lspci
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

It has zero issues connecting to the University's campus wifi and is fast. I had to make no changes to my 12.04, just booted and there it was..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I hate to be the one to say it but...
    Please no multi posts. Edit for other's sake. (let the hate messages flow)

Also, I have seen other people that tried switching their cards with limited success, if any. I saw one that had the result of a slight stability improvement, but no long term effect, and that was a total brand switch (Intel to AMD)
    I haven't noticed the problem since the 200 updates I installed this week, though. I even left it on all night, and even after it was forced to reconnect (power outage) it is fine.
    Here's hoping it's finally fixed (for my card )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yea I hate multi-post too. Drives up the bean count.

And the new card worked great for over 8 hours this week at class...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast