Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.04 and Pentium M CPU error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

12.04 and Pentium M CPU error

I downloaded the 32bit 12.04 and burned a CD but when I boot on my older laptop with a Pentium M CPU I get the error "This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: pae Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU."

Have I got the wrong iso? or maybe 12.04 won't work on this laptop.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.04 and Pentium M CPU error

yup you need to down load one of the other ISOs you need 32bit with pae which as I understands it is fakes 64bit allows your computer to access and address more then 3 gb of ram ..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jadtech View Post
    yup you need to down load one of the other ISOs you need 32bit with pae which as I understands it is fakes 64bit allows your computer to access and address more then 3 gb of ram ..
    Thanks I will see if I can find it.

Beans

Actually, the problem is that you need a kernel WITHOUT pae. Your cpu doesn't support pae, and as of 12.04 the default kernel requires cpu support for it.

See this page for help: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/how-t...n-non-pae.html

Beans
    Distro

oh the reverse I didn't catch that ..
    actually thought you have to go out of your way to the list of sites to get ISO 32 bit with pae the same with the alternate iso ...

Beans
    Distro

in that case try the non-pae mini cd. it a txt based install boots like any other CD

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...tboot/non-pae/

Beans

Another distribution might serve you better given the older hardware (Lubuntu or Xubuntu). This is from the Precise release page.

The Ubuntu 12.04 installation image does not include support for old computers that do not support PAE. If your computer is affected, you can either first install Ubuntu 10.04 or 11.10 and upgrade to 12.04 or you can use the Lubuntu or Xubuntu images. The non-PAE version of the Linux kernel will be dropped completely following the 12.04 release.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePango...m_requirements

Beans
    Distro

not a lot of info for this lap top given but my search shows that the Pentium M CPU support 512 mb of ram 1.4ghz processor so this would work with 12.4 fine thing is the docs clearly say the best way to do this now is upgrade from an older version ..

the mini non pae cd should still do it as long as they aren't put off by the txt based install ..

also if they can find a ISO for 12.4 beta 2 this would work as well the pae support was not dropped till the release version ..

also wubi installer would do the trick as well since its still 11.10 then you can migrate that and upgrade ..
    Last edited by jadtech; May 7th, 2012 at 04:47 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jadtech View Post
    not a lot of info for this lap top given but my search shows that the Pentium M CPU support 512 mb of ram 1.4ghz processor so this would work with 12.4 fine thing is the docs clearly say the best way to do this now is upgrade from an older version ..
    The Pentium M and derived Celerons do not support PAE (I have one).

The OP would have to use the mini-iso to install Ubuntu with a non PAE kernel or he can use use any of the Lubuntu or Xubuntu derivitives that still have support for non-PAE CPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Have I got the wrong iso? or maybe 12.04 won't work on this laptop.
    If you want Ubuntu 12.04 you will have to install from the mini-iso cd image which has kernel support for non-PAE CPU's

Your other options are to use the Xubuntu or Lubuntu images that have non-PAE support and then afterwards install ubuntu from there. You're laptop is pretty old so I'm not sure how well it will handle Ubuntu, (what are the specs, CPU & RAM?) as I know my laptop will be pretty sluggish.

I would suggest you download the Xubuntu cd image and install that and see how you like it, if you still want you can then install Ubuntu from there easily, all you have to do from a terminal is:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    and afterwards edit one file:

Code:
    sudo leafpad /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    so the file has this specified,

[SeatDefaults]
    greeter-session=unity-greeter
    user-session=ubuntu
    Last edited by mips; May 7th, 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for all the help on this one. For now I am going to stay with 10.10. I am just using this old laptop on a sound system with audacity. The problem I was having was audacity would lockup once in awhile so I just reinstall it. I hope this will fix the problem, but I have a feeling it is a hardware issue. The screen blinks when it locks up. It goes black and then comes back on and at that point audacity is locked. Actually it is the recording that is locked, I can export the recording to a mp3 file and restart audacity and start recording again and everything seems to work again. Time will tell if reloading audacity fixed the problem.
    Again thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast