Thread: Laptop Charger G62

Beans

Laptop Charger G62

I wasn't really sure where to post this, so I hope posting in this section isn't completly wrong.
    Anyway my HP G62's charger is dying. Faulty connection somewhere on the transformer cable, since sometimes I bring it back to life after moving it around a bit. I was checking online for one, and I found one with very similar specifications to mine. It's from another G62. I bought my laptop in Portugal and am now living in Poland so I'm not enterily sure if these countries can have any effect on the chargers specs.
    My chargers specs:
    Output 18.5V 3.5A 65W
    Input 100 - 240V 1.7A(1,7A) 50-60Hz

The charger I was checking out online:
    Output 18.5V 3.5A 65W
    Input 100 - 240V 1.6A(1,6A) 50-60Hz

As you can see there is only a 0,1A difference on the Input. Is this difference relevant?

Thanks for the support.
    Last edited by luismgl; May 7th, 2012 at 01:16 PM.

Beans

Re: Laptop Charger G62

Quote Originally Posted by luismgl View Post
    I wasn't really sure where to post this, so I hope posting in this section isn't completly wrong.
    Anyway my HP G62's charger is dying. Faulty connection somewhere on the transformer cable, since sometimes I bring it back to life after moving it around a bit. I was checking online for one, and I found one with very similar specifications to mine. It's from another G62. I bought my laptop in Portugal and am now living in Poland so I'm not enterily sure if these countries can have any effect on the chargers specs.
    My chargers specs:
    Output 18.5V 3.5A 65W
    Input 100 - 240V 1.7A(1,7A) 50-60Hz

The charger I was checking out online:
    Output 18.5V 3.5A 65W
    Input 100 - 240V 1.6A(1,6A) 50-60Hz

As you can see there is only a 0,1A difference on the Input. Is this difference relevant?
    No, not relevant. The important thing is the Output values which match. The replacement charger is more efficient compared to your old one seeing it draws less current on the input but still has identical output. So you are safe to go with the replacement.

Before you buy a charger make sure it's not the connector that you plug the cable into that is faulty. They seem to work themselves lose over time if not handled delicately. Fixing this requires a simple solder job or a solder job & a new connector.

Beans

BTW, Touchmate make 'universal' laptop chargers. You change the plug and set the voltage to whatever you need.

Beans

Thanks for the help