Thread: postgres pg_dump works from cmd line, not from crontab

Beans

postgres pg_dump works from cmd line, not from crontab

I am trying to do auto backups of postgresql database using pg_dump, but this command only works from command line, not in crontab. Here is the command:

command line (works):
    /usr/bin/sudo -u postgres /usr/bin/pg_dump dbasename > /root/dbasebak.sql

in crontab I'm setting it every 5 minutes just for testing:

crontab (does not work):
    */5 * * * * /usr/bin/sudo -u postgres /usr/bin/pg_dump dbasename > /root/dbasebak.sql

The error in syslog is:
    Error: bad username; while reading /etc/crontab

If it is related, I do have local postgres ident = trust in pg_hba.conf, like this:
    local all postgres trust

thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: postgres pg_dump works from cmd line, not from crontab

Whose crontab did you put this in?

If you want to have it be run by the postgres user, the easiest solution is to put the entry in /etc/crontab like this:

Code:
    */5 * * * * postgres /usr/bin/pg_dump dbasename > /root/dbasebak.sql
    In /etc/crontab, the username under which the job is run appears immediately after the stars. You could alternatively create a crontab for the postgres user by using

Code:
    sudo su postgres
    crontab -e
    but I don't see much value to that approach unless you expect to be setting up a number of cron jobs for the postgres user to execute. If you do choose this method, you'd use the same job definition as above but omit the username "postgres".

I also prefer to use pg_dumpall so all the databases get backed up with a single command.

Backing up the database every five minutes seems a bit excessive unless you have a really high-traffic system or have a very unstable machine or power situation. (If the latter, get a UPS.) PostgreSQL is a very stable daemon; I can't recall the last time I saw one fall over under normal loads, and I've used Postgres pretty much exclusively for years now. I run nightly backups myself.

You don't want to use sudo in an unattended setting, unless you've set up sudo permissions to not require a password. Otherwise running sudo in a cron job will cause it to hang waiting for the password to be typed. If you want to enable the root user to run a command as another user, you can use "su -c 'command' username", but it's a lot easier just assigning the command to the correct user in crontab.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; May 7th, 2012 at 08:21 AM.

Beans

I am logged in as root and the crontab is /etc/crontab.

I have changed the cron command to:

*/5 * * * * postgres /usr/bin/pg_dump dbasename > /root/dbasebak.sql

Still not working. Syslog shows that it ran:

May 7 12:55:01 PostgresqlDBServer CRON[23525]: (postgres) CMD (/usr/bin/pg_dump dbasename > /root/dbasebak.sql)

but no backup file. How can postgres write to /root, is this maybe a permission error?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Postgres should not write to root I recomend you to create a new folder in /root and add the correct permissions:

sudo mkdir /root/db
    sudo chown root.postgres /root/db
    sudo chmod 770 /root/db

and then modify crontab:

*/5 * * * * postgres /usr/bin/pg_dump dbasename > /root/db/dbasebak.sql

Beans

thank you, that is now working. One more question, what is the syntax for adding the current date to the filename. I have found examples but I don't seem to be getting it right.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You can create a date string with the bash command date. For instance, the bash construct "$(date +%Y%M%d)" returns a strong like "20120508". However I don't know if you can just put this in crontab entry or not. Give this a try and see if it works for you:

Code:
    */5 * * * * postgres /usr/bin/pg_dump dbasename > /root/dbasebak-$(date +%Y%m%d).sql
    An easier solution might be to add an configuration file to /etc/logrotate.d/ and let the logrotate program handle the task for you. By default it now uses the "-YYYYMMDD" format on the files it backs up. To use logrotate, create a file in an editor as root with sudo called /etc/logrotate.d/pgbackup and enter this:

Code:
    /root/db/dbasebak.sql {
         daily
         rotate 30
    }
    Now each day's backup will be renamed to dbasebak.sql-YYYYMMDD and kept for thirty days.

Beans

thank you. I tried this and it did not work.

0 1 * * * postgres /usr/bin/pg_dump productiondatabase > /root/dbbaks/prod_database_fullbackup$(date +%d).sql

it left blank in filename where date should go. That's ok, one day of backup is fine, I don't need a date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by robinnelu View Post
    thank you. I tried this and it did not work.

0 1 * * * postgres /usr/bin/pg_dump productiondatabase > /root/dbbaks/prod_database_fullbackup$(date +%d).sql

it left blank in filename where date should go. That's ok, one day of backup is fine, I don't need a date.
    It will be easier using an script:

create a file called pgbackup in /usr/local/sbin :

sudo gedit /usr/local/sbin/pgbackup

and add the following contents:
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    TODAY=$(date +%d)  #if you want full date change to this: TODAY=$(date +%Y%m%d)
    OUTPUT="/root/dbbaks/prod_database_fullbackup_$TODAY.sql"
    /usr/bin/pg_dump productiondatabase > $OUTPUT
    then add execute permision:
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/sbin/pgbackup

and modify crontab:

0 1 * * * postgres /usr/local/sbin/pgbackup