Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless problem after upgrade

Beans

Re: Wireless problem after upgrade

I seem to be having the same problem after upgrading from 11.04 to 12.04. Only WPA seems to be giving me trouble.

Beans

try tracepath <url> and see what happens

Beans

Code:
    blatm@Bob:~$ tracepath google.com
    gethostbyname2: Unknown host
    For some reason the wpa wireless at university now works, though my home network still doesn't. I'm sorry for the slow reply. Obviously without internet it's difficult.

I'm new to linux so I'm not sure what kind of information will be useful. Let me know what you need, and thanks for the help.

Beans

I'm having the same problem. I have a brand new Lemur Ultra and this has been an issue since I took it out of the box. In my case, wireless connects fine but after some random amount of time I stop being able to load any websites. I just get failed to contact server. I am unable to connect to the admin page of my router. It also happens while updating using the update manager. The update manager claims the connection dropped. The wireless claims to still be connected. Logging in and out again does not fix the problem, but restarting my computer does. At least, until the next random time drop occurs. It's clearly on my laptop's end and not in the router.

Any suggestions would be thoroughly appreciated. I'd like to actually be mobile with my new laptop instead of stuck to a chord.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by dbingham View Post
    I'm having the same problem. I have a brand new Lemur Ultra and this has been an issue since I took it out of the box. In my case, wireless connects fine but after some random amount of time I stop being able to load any websites. I just get failed to contact server. I am unable to connect to the admin page of my router. It also happens while updating using the update manager. The update manager claims the connection dropped. The wireless claims to still be connected. Logging in and out again does not fix the problem, but restarting my computer does. At least, until the next random time drop occurs. It's clearly on my laptop's end and not in the router.

Any suggestions would be thoroughly appreciated. I'd like to actually be mobile with my new laptop instead of stuck to a chord.
    Stuck to one chord? That must be one boring song.
    Anyway, have you ever tried disabling and re-enabling networking from the networking menu?
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

Hey everyone!

I guess my problem is very similar to yours...
    I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 and have had a new wireless connection since about two weeks. Today afternoon my problem began. The laptop shows a healthy connection, and the torrents work, but the browser won't, I get the usual error page in Firefox. It's not the case of the torrents drowning out the browser because I've tried switching the client off and it still won't work. I've also tried to unplug the router and wait for the few minutes, but I get the same result. Now I'm at my uni and wireless works just fine. Any help would be appreciated!

edit: Just tried to rename /etc/resolv.conf as was suggested here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/13100...-intel-wifi-li

I hope this solution sticks! Also, would anyone be kind enough to tell me why this problem occurs and why this solution helps? If it's too noobish to answer then forget it!
    Last edited by a_m_100; October 1st, 2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: solution found

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12