Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash video failing to go fullscreen on Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Flash video failing to go fullscreen on Ubuntu 12.04

Hi, after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 flash no longer wants to go fullscreen. I have a dual monitor setup with my (old) video projector attached as a "CRT" (via VGA cable) so I thought perhaps it's the same issue as this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1829272

However, my "CRT" monitor is disabled (from the NVidia tool) and I have never had this problem on earlier Ubuntus, so perhaps there's something new I don't know about?

- Matti

Beans

Re: Flash video failing to go fullscreen on Ubuntu 12.04

I have the same issue, with a Radeon 5770 instead of Nvidia. It flashes full screen but it immediately disappears. I can sometimes get it to stick if I click it over and over and over, that works on Youtube but so far does not work on Vimeo.

Beans

Are you both using Gnome Shell?

I use Gnome Shell and have the same problem - flash will not go full-screen, it flashes and then returns to a windowed state.
    I tried all these solutions - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1953796
    with no luck.

I tried disabling all Shell extensions but that didn't work

I then tried using Unity to see if it was a Gnome 3 problem - It appears that it is a Gnome Shell problem - For me at least, there is no problem with full-screen Flash in Unity.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Flash video failing to go fullscreen on Ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by yippy View Post
    I have the same issue, with a Radeon 5770 instead of Nvidia. It flashes full screen but it immediately disappears. I can sometimes get it to stick if I click it over and over and over, that works on Youtube but so far does not work on Vimeo.
    Yeah same behavior here. With very persistent machine gun style clicking it sometimes sticks to being fullscreen. Really annoying.

I'm running Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I am finding this too, and I think it is while trying to use an external monitor. Clicking full screen will show YouTube videos that should take up the whole wide-screen monitor as only reduced-size: it shows them in the "large" viewer size, with a wide margin of black all around.
    I am using Unity under 12.04, (using the nouveau driver for my NVIDIA Corporation G98M [GeForce G 105M]) with the external monitor set up to be on the "left" of the laptop monitor. the external is set to its full 1920X1080 resolution, while the laptop is set to its full 1280X800 resolution... Both are turned "On" in Display manger.

Just playing an AVI file on full screen on the external works fine...Seems to be something about flash and external monitors...

UPDATE: it looks like this is a known issue. See second post here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1951275

see here for more solutions/ options until flash is fixed: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1009461&page=5
    Last edited by poikiloid; May 20th, 2012 at 06:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Got the same problem. It didn't start as soon as I upgraded though. Just a few days back.

Don't have any extra monitors. Just the standard display of the laptop. Using a ATI Mobility Radeon HD3450. So the issue is affecting nVidia and ATI.

Any suggestions. running unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm baffled why those two separate issues are treated as the same.
    The bug report for chromium mentions that the "flashing" from fullscreen to normal mode is fixed (which is not true, at least here it isn't...) and that the remaining issue is with the size.
    Well, if I play a flash video, even if I get it to stay fullscreen for a few seconds (after rapid gunfire clicking), it still goes back to normal. And yes, that's independent of mouse and/or keyboard events/keypresses.
    This happens for me under Gnome-shell, not Unity(3D) where it behaves as expected.
    Code:
    user@terminal:~$ uname -a
    Linux Obsidian 3.2.0-30-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 16:52:48 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    user@terminal:~$ chromium-browser --version
    Chromium 18.0.1025.168 Ubuntu 12.04
    user@terminal:~$ lspci|grep Graphics
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    user@terminal:~$
    The oldest n00b in the 1337 world...
    I'm all for thinner screens... but how will the tiny people from CRTs fit in them?
    My current desktop for 2009

Beans

I have the same problem!
    I can't go to fullscreen by just clicking once, I have to rapidly click the button like 10 times and then It will switch to fullscreen.

edit:

Ubuntu 12.04
    Chromium (latest)
    Nvidia GT520
    Unity
    Last edited by Jimboland; September 25th, 2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: update with system specs

Beans

Same issues with Chrome and Firefox and Dual Monitors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have the same problem with 12.10 (and Gnome-Shell), and I found a workaround:
    DOUBLE-click the fullscreen icon.
    (So it seems to be a focus problem.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast