Thread: Headless bootup issues

Headless bootup issues

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum but I have been having issues getting 12.04 to boot. Initially after the upgrade I had a lot of problems with unity and ended up just installing xfce as a replacement to get it working again.

I have ubuntu desktop edition installed but use it as a general file server so I need it to boot without a monitor plugged in.

I found various threads suggesting manually setting the xorg.conf file to enable it to boot with no screen plugged in.
    I followed the xorg.conf laid out here: which was copied from a thread on these forums.

Unfortunately the fix appears to do nothing, if I boot the machine with no screen plugged in it still fails to start any sort of display manager and even if I plug in a screen at a later point it still doesn't display anything.

Does the xfce install change anything with the way the system looks at the xorg.conf file or is something else wrong here?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Re: Headless bootup issues

To update, i've found a load more suggestions and howto's but they are all dated 2009 so i'm a little dubious to try them.

The Left Coast of the USA

Re: Headless bootup issues

Install xserver-xorg-video-dummy

That'll allow the machine to boot headless.

For remoting, I recommend Nomachine. NX is far and away better than VNC, it's more secure since you use SSH, and the NX client will automatically resize the X session inside the client. Almost as good as Microsoft's RDP.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.