Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound not working after fresh 12.04 install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Sound not working after fresh 12.04 install

Quote Originally Posted by Tech226 View Post
    In System Settings -> Sound -> Output tab, what is selected in "Play sound through"?
    Speakers, but all of the output selections fail to result in sound.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Have you tried the following command?

Code:
    ubuntu-bug audio
    Last edited by Tech226; May 9th, 2012 at 05:10 AM. Reason: url deprecated

Beans

Hi Guyz,

Fresh 12.04 install on an Intel HDA motherboard with Intel processor. AND NO SOUND!!!???!!!

If you have an intel HDA chip (Realtek ALC8887) which you can see in the gnome-alsa-mixer installed from the Ubuntu Software Center. Just run the app and look in the tabs.

From the Webupd8.org folks: Fix HDA Intel ALC887 no sound issue in Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

then add this line at bottom: options snd-hda-intel model=generic

Save the file. Reboot and try your sound. Make sure your alsa-mixer sound settings are ON.

Shazzam!!! Tunes!!!!!

HTH,

Kenneth "beaucoder"
    in Sugar Creek where life is sweet, mostly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beaucoder View Post
    Hi Guyz,

Fresh 12.04 install on an Intel HDA motherboard with Intel processor. AND NO SOUND!!!???!!!

If you have an intel HDA chip (Realtek ALC8887) which you can see in the gnome-alsa-mixer installed from the Ubuntu Software Center. Just run the app and look in the tabs.

From the Webupd8.org folks: Fix HDA Intel ALC887 no sound issue in Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat:

Save the file. Reboot and try your sound. Make sure your alsa-mixer sound settings are ON.

Shazzam!!! Tunes!!!!!

HTH,

Kenneth "beaucoder"
    I tried doing these instructions but audio still won't work sir, is audio an issue on 12.04?

Thank you for the help and reply sir

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by beaucoder View Post
    Hi Guyz,

Shazzam!!! Tunes!!!!!

HTH,

Kenneth "beaucoder"
    Man from sugar creek - Thankyou. This problem was on my parents computer at their house so it took me a few days to get over and try it. It's mother's day and mum's the only one that needs sound so a lovely present.

If you have an ask ubuntu account, go here http://askubuntu.com/questions/13080...-12-04-install and claim the bounty I set on the question by answering there.

Beans

Hi, I too have just freshly installed 12.04 and had an issue with making sound work.
    Spent the last day looking through the internet to find people having the same experiences and seeing if they could fix it. Thus finding this post.

I went into alsamixer via terminal and un-muted a few things but had no luck with that (though it could have helped with my end result)

Then I saw this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech226 View Post
    In System Settings -> Sound -> Output tab, what is selected in "Play sound through"?
    I also found that there was only one option: the built in audio.
    Since I was in the sound settings, I decided to have a peek around and play with some settings to try and fix the problem.

In system settings -> sound -> Hardware Tab I went to 'settings for the selected device' and changed it from Analog Stereo Duplex, to Analog Stereo Input. (I actually just flicked through each setting to see if there were any changes)
    Setting it to Analog Stereo Input made it immediately work perfectly.

It all almost seemed too easy.
    I hope this helps you too if you have not fixed it already

Beans

Beaucoder! Dude!!! You are the best. Worked like a charm. Thank you so much!

Beans

Beaucoder! Dude!!! You are the best. Worked like a charm. Thank you so much!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12