Thread: how can I update ffmpeg to the very latest version

Beans

how can I update ffmpeg to the very latest version

Ubuntu 10.04
    Gnome 2
    Nautulus 2.30.1

I have ffmep .4 something and I want to update to .6 or above How can I do this?
    Thanks,
    Paul
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: how can I update ffmpeg to the very latest version

Quote Originally Posted by p3aul View Post

I have ffmep .4 something and I want to update to .6 or above...
    Hi
    The way to do this is compile latest FFmpeg from GIT.

For Ubuntu 10.04 the guide is here ---> https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/...tionGuideLucid

Beans

I have an awful feeling that something is going to go wrong. How can I keep my original installation safe from harm? The first thing that site says do is to remove the old installation.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
    I have an awful feeling that something is going to go wrong. How can I keep my original installation safe from harm? The first thing that site says do is to remove the old installation.
    The guide ron999 linked to has a section called "Reverting Changes Made by This Guide" at the bottom of the page. You can then re-install the version from the repository and any dependencies that may have been removed. See /var/log/dpkg.log for a record of removed packages.

I have plans to create a "local installation" version of the guide that will allow both the repo ffmpeg and compiled ffmpeg to co-exist.