Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Upgrade to 12.04 broke my XBMC

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chester UK
    Beans
    86
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Angry Upgrade to 12.04 broke my XBMC

    Hi All,

    I'm having awful trouble trying to run XBMC on 12.04 precise. It loads up but the menus take 2-3 seconds to react to a keypress, needless to say its utterly useless now.

    I have upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04 64bit and XBMC has since stopped working. The graphics card is NVIDIA 6150 LE. The current driver is 295.40.

    I am absolutely desperate to get it working properly again can anyone help me out? I do not want to have to downgrade to 11.10

    Kind Regards,
    SPADGE_2356
    Windows free since 19-03-2011
    My long term goal is to migrate my sign-making company from Windows to Ubuntu!
    www.willowsigns.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NIPPON (aka Japan)
    Beans
    230
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Upgrade to 12.04 broke my XBMC

    Hi spadge_2356,

    Have you installed the latest version of XBMC?

    If not yet, please refer to following web page and try to upgrade XBMC, and then see if it would work well.

    "INSTALL XBMC ON UBUNTU 12.04 PRECISE PANGOLIN"
    http://www.noobslab.com/2011/12/inst...4-precise.html

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chester UK
    Beans
    86
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Upgrade to 12.04 broke my XBMC

    Quote Originally Posted by kazztan0325 View Post
    Hi spadge_2356,

    Have you installed the latest version of XBMC?

    If not yet, please refer to following web page and try to upgrade XBMC, and then see if it would work well.

    "INSTALL XBMC ON UBUNTU 12.04 PRECISE PANGOLIN"
    http://www.noobslab.com/2011/12/inst...4-precise.html
    Thanks, but I am already running Eden.v11. Unless theres another one been released I'm not aware of?
    Windows free since 19-03-2011
    My long term goal is to migrate my sign-making company from Windows to Ubuntu!
    www.willowsigns.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Beans
    53
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Upgrade to 12.04 broke my XBMC

    Looks like this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1976109 has some useful information. There's a known bug with the nvidia 295.X drivers for older cards.

    I've removed all the proprietary drivers from my new install and am using the nouveau driver instead (your system will fall back to this if you remove all the official drivers). It's still not as fast as my previous 11.10 install was, but reading the bug-thread suggests that this is fixed in 12.10 and will be fixed in 12.04 soon. Here's hoping, I miss my XBMC
    ||Break it to make it better.||

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chester UK
    Beans
    86
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Upgrade to 12.04 broke my XBMC

    There's a known bug with the nvidia 295.X drivers for older cards
    I tried all variations of the 295.x drivers with varying results, in some cases speed increased slightly, in others I just got the black terminal screen instead of gdm. I found 295.33 worked the best but it was still unusable really!

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickprowls View Post
    this is fixed in 12.10 and will be fixed in 12.04 soon. Here's hoping, I miss my XBMC
    Me too buddy! So much that I did a clean install of 11.10, re-installed XBMC and LIRC on all my machines! Now there's a weekend of my life I'll never get back. Oh well I missed dodge when they removed it from the Unity menu anyway so now I have that back at least

    Hopefully they will get the bugs out, and I'll be able to upgrade without any snags but for now I'm keeping with 11.10 for as long as possible. Its stable at least for now.
    Windows free since 19-03-2011
    My long term goal is to migrate my sign-making company from Windows to Ubuntu!
    www.willowsigns.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    1

    Re: Upgrade to 12.04 broke my XBMC

    Just a quick update. I had exactly the same issue with nvidia GeForce 7100 using driver 295.40 with xbmc in Precise 12.04.

    As suggested above, I added the precise-proposed package archives into sources.list.

    The proposed nvidia driver is 295.49, and is installed with nvidia-current-updates. After installation, at least for me, it worked like a charm. xbmc on ubuntu 12.04 has been rescued

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chester UK
    Beans
    86
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Upgrade to 12.04 broke my XBMC

    Quote Originally Posted by hodowany View Post
    The proposed nvidia driver is 295.49, and is installed with nvidia-current-updates. After installation, at least for me, it worked like a charm. xbmc on ubuntu 12.04 has been rescued
    That's great news hodowany! I noticed they released 295.49 just after I created this thread. I have tried installing them, but it didn't solve my problems? Perhaps I neglected to install nvidia-current-updates afterwards? Did you install via the terminal or through synaptic?

    If I feel brave enough I'll try upgrading again at a later date, but for now thankfully, my installation of XBMC is stable with Ubuntu 11.10

    On a separate note....loving the new look of the forums!
    Windows free since 19-03-2011
    My long term goal is to migrate my sign-making company from Windows to Ubuntu!
    www.willowsigns.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    49

    Re: Upgrade to 12.04 broke my XBMC

    I'm having a similar problem. My latest update brought me to 12.04 and also updated XBMC to v11. When I first opened XBMC, it was stuck after the splash screen on the Videos tab of the Back Row theme. I assumed that maybe it was some add ons or the theme, so I renamed the add ons folder and the guisettings.xml file and let it use default values. Now, it just sticks on the splash screen, even if I change the add ons folder and guisettings.xml back to their original names.

    My nvidia-current-updates is up to date, as well as nvidia-current

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Seems I can never upgrade without XBMC freaking out.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    49

    Re: Upgrade to 12.04 broke my XBMC

    Quote Originally Posted by mistergoomba View Post
    I'm having a similar problem. My latest update brought me to 12.04 and also updated XBMC to v11. When I first opened XBMC, it was stuck after the splash screen on the Videos tab of the Back Row theme. I assumed that maybe it was some add ons or the theme, so I renamed the add ons folder and the guisettings.xml file and let it use default values. Now, it just sticks on the splash screen, even if I change the add ons folder and guisettings.xml back to their original names.

    My nvidia-current-updates is up to date, as well as nvidia-current

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Seems I can never upgrade without XBMC freaking out.
    I just reinstalled XBMC and it's working fine. Must have been an incompatibility somewhere

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •