Thread: Compiling and Installing vs Running Binary in Tarball and Creating a Launcher?

Beans

Compiling and Installing vs Running Binary in Tarball and Creating a Launcher?

Some apps like firefox have you download the source code tarballs and inside of the tarball is a executable file that launches the app. If you create a launcher that points to the executable it launches. Is there any point in compiling at this point? Just curious what you guys have to think. BTW I'm asking because I'm looking for a good podcast client and earlier versions of gpodder are too buggy so i'm running the newest version from the git repo
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Re: Compiling and Installing vs Running Binary in Tarball and Creating a Launcher?

I think that if it launches your good to go
    you achieved the purpose
    All roads lead to Rome

Good question

Beans

Re: Compiling and Installing vs Running Binary in Tarball and Creating a Launcher?

I also remember using a game emulator called mupen64 like that, which i left in my home folder.