Thread: Ubuntu-Professional

Beans

Ubuntu-Professional

Hi,

as I understand the newest Ubuntu versions are designed for computer-newbies, so basically people who never touched a computer before. This is why, for example, it is so difficult to open a second terminal in the new version, or to find the "shutdown" button.

Now, my question, is there a version of Ubuntu or a package, that provides a Desktop functionality for well trained people? I am searching something that is designed to enable fast work-flows and intuitive (not this unintuitive newbie intuition as it is implemented in the newest versions), but rather expert intuition...???

all the best
    teramind

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu-Professional

Are you asking for a non-Unity desktop? If so you can try Lubuntu, Xubuntu, or any of the other flavors of Ubuntu that feature different desktop environments. Both Lubuntu and Xubuntu have very simple, daresay bare bones menus that may be more suitable for experts.
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED] (if it's ever fixed), it makes helping others easier.

Beans

Install the XFCE desktop. When you log in, you can select whether you want Unity or XFCE.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by teramind View Post
    Hi,

as I understand the newest Ubuntu versions are designed for computer-newbies, so basically people who never touched a computer before. This is why, for example, it is so difficult to open a second terminal in the new version, or to find the "shutdown" button.

Now, my question, is there a version of Ubuntu or a package, that provides a Desktop functionality for well trained people? I am searching something that is designed to enable fast work-flows and intuitive (not this unintuitive newbie intuition as it is implemented in the newest versions), but rather expert intuition...???

all the best
    teramind
    Uh?

that provides a Desktop functionality for well trained people?
    Really!
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I don't know what suits your requirements, I just want to add to those above me:
    If you want to install Xfce on top of your Ubuntu install :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4
    The same for LXDE:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lxde-core
    Or even KDE:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop
    That will save you the trouble of installing K/X/Lubuntu.

(BTW, just IMHO, but I think that working on Unity is faster than other DEs, with features like the Dash, Expo, HUD,...)
    Last edited by zombifier25; May 4th, 2012 at 12:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by teramind View Post
    This is why, for example, it is so difficult to open a second terminal in the new version, or to find the "shutdown" button.
    Difficult?!

For a second terminal, middle-click on the terminal icon in the launcher, or shift-ctrl-N with the first gnome-terminal window focussed, or from the terminal menu: File -> New Window.

Shutdown button - top-right of screen; last choice in drop-down menu.

Difficult? I don't think so.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

that provides a Desktop functionality for well trained people?
    You still want a desktop? Surely well trained people would be using the command line interface.

So, Ubuntu is too easy to use for clever people to work with.

Try this:

http://www.archlinux.org/

According to some, you have to be well trained to use this distribution of Linux.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; May 4th, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530