Thread: I am running Win 7 on one HD (C) and the other (E) is blank and formatted...........

Beans

I am running Win 7 on one HD (C) and the other (E) is blank and formatted...........

Win 7 is loaded onto my C drive and is running I guess as well as a Windows program can run. I want to install ubuntu on my E drive, the second, blank disc on my machine. Win 7 is brand new to me and I don't know the ins and outs of it at all. When I try to do a download of ububtu I get a pop up widow that asks me to "save" it. O.K. I save it and it gets saved in my "downloads" folder in Win 7. That's great EXCEPT that, from there, I can only install it onto the C drive alongside of my Win 7. I don't want to do that. There are no options, or at least I have not found a way, to install the ubuntu onto the E drive from there. Am I missing something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: I am running Win 7 on one HD (C) and the other (E) is blank and formatted........

I don't believe it is possible to install it from your Win 7 drive. You need to burn the .iso file it to a DVD and make a Live DVD and run it in your DVD drive to install it to your other drive.

Here is a tutorial on burning CDs or DVDs.
    Last edited by bc.haynes; February 9th, 2014 at 03:58 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I am running Win 7 on one HD (C) and the other (E) is blank and formatted........

Are you using WUBI.exe to install Ubuntu? If you are, don't do it! It's deprecated and not recommended to use for installing Ubuntu, rather partition the HDD and live boot into Ubuntu and install it that way.
    "Ignorance is short-lived, and knowledge is forever."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Drive letters are a convention used by Windows; plus, they aren't actually "drives", instead, they are "partitions".

The only way to install Ubuntu to a "drive" is using Wubi -- which has been discontinued largely due to the problems associated with UEFI.

Since you can't install Ubuntu to an NTFS partition, you should remove that partition and use "something else" in the Ubuntu installer to install in the unallocated spot.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.