Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EA will be attending Ubuntu Developer Summit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

EA will be attending Ubuntu Developer Summit

http://iloveubuntu.net/notorious-gam...uantal-quetzal

Comment, speculate, make a witty remark, etc etc right away!

Beans

Re: EA will be attending Ubuntu Developer Summit

Valve announces Steam Clinet for Linux and EA jumps on board to announce Origen client for Linux...?

EA stuff is a DRM nightmare which I prefer to avoid.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Valve announces Steam Clinet for Linux and EA jumps on board to announce Origen client for Linux...?

EA stuff is a DRM nightmare which I prefer to avoid.
    Good for you. EA signing on to release games for Ubuntu would be a HUGE boost for Canonical, Ubuntu, and Linux.
    In a ham and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved but the pig is committed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If they release some games on Ubuntu that have widespread appeal, I'll be happy. However I have a feeling they'll just release one of their incorrigable Madden games for Ubuntu, the entire world apart from the US will sign a collective "Meh" and then EA will slink back to their bunker.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If games are coming, no matter what the first wave may be, it will be huge for the ubuntu/linux community.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

One more reason I'm glad that UDS is in California this year. Definitely looking forward to seeing what EA brings to the table.

Beans

Eh, double-edged sword I suppose. While EA coming on board to support games for Linux may be a huge push in some people moving fully over to a linux environment -- It is EA however, and I don't hold them to high standards to begin with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

its not surprising, with steam announcing there possable release of the client. larger companys wont sit back and go "oh steams going to linux. lets sit back and see what happens"

There going to follow. and there going to compete, not only that, with nvidias latest updates supporting multiple features, even new randr compositing features, nvidia is boosting there developement

Along with that, phoronix unveiled news about a new Graphical gaming engine bringing "Tessellation" to linux. the main feature/backend of DirectX 11, and native DX11

And ontop of even that, wayland and new X Managers are due boasting impressive features. and with DR2 and Proper Piping been founded its a bright future

My Point is. linux isnt just a terminal anymore, its graphical and breakthroughs are been made which companys are noticing. those breakthroughs allow easy game ports. good graphics, and future gaming developement so companys will eventually grab that and use it for profit margins

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cloyd800 View Post
    Eh, double-edged sword I suppose. While EA coming on board to support games for Linux may be a huge push in some people moving fully over to a linux environment -- It is EA however, and I don't hold them to high standards to begin with.
    My feelings too.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If EA has no plans on releasing Linux-based binaries for hit titles like Deadspace and Mass Effect, anything else they publish might as well stay on Windows for all I care. xD I doubt I'd get anymore excited over Madden on Linux than I did on the GameGear, meh. Here's to hoping they publish software through Steam on Linux either way!

Quote Originally Posted by lincruste View Post
    I can actually see that happening. DRM like SecuRom was the only thing stopping me from wanting Mass Effect 2 on the PC, and if they pull the same crap on Linux, I'm not interested in worrying about their flaky, intrusive DRM potentially bricking my favorite OS either. There are much better ways to protect a game without royally screwing over paying customers with software that only half-works and mild to severe hair-loss.

Sorry for the slight rant there, but overprotective DRM has a way of making me want to shoot something, grrr I need a moment in Open Arena!
    Last edited by sffvba[e0rt; May 5th, 2012 at 10:29 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast