Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devede menu problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Devede menu problem

Lo All ,

I have a problem with Devede. It just keeps crashing with the error "unable to create menu" I have tried various different options on the menu but nothing helps.

If I create the dvd without a menu then it works and builds the dvd. But I can't work without menus. The dvd must have menus.

Anybody else had this problem before and know how to fix it ?

Thank you
    I5 3ghz , 16gig RAM, Nvidia Geforce GT610 1gig

Beans

Re: Devede menu problem

This tip I found in the Ubuntu forums, fixed the DeVeDe menu crash problem for me;-

Open a terminal and enter the following
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jon-severinsson/ffmpeg
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

If you haven't installed ffmpeg, then replace
    sudo apt-get upgrade with sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

If you prefer not to usse PPAs, another fix is to open DeVeDe and select 'Preferences' and uncheck the 'Use FFMPEG instead of Mencoder' box.

I hope that one of these tips fixes the problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Installing this PPA worked for me. Thanks!
    Precise 64 bit on Asus U47A

Beans
    Distro

I Just unchecked the "use ffmpeg" option in preferences and that solved the problem for me thanx.
    I5 3ghz , 16gig RAM, Nvidia Geforce GT610 1gig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I also unchecked the "use ffmpeg" option and the menu system worked.
    I then upgraded from the Ubuntu installed ffmpeg 4:0.8.1 to 4:0.10.2 and then ran DeVeDe again with the "use ffmpeg" option selected and the menu system also worked this time.

Beans
    Distro

EDIT: Nevermind my post, didn't see the PPA posted right above, sorry!

Regards,
    Veroslav
    Last edited by veroslav; May 9th, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
    Intel Core i7 860 2,8 GHz - 8 GB DDR3 - 1,5 TB SATA 3G - nVidia GeForce GTX 260 1,8 GB - Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by veroslav View Post
    Nevermind my post, didn't see the PPA posted right above, sorry!
    Hi buddy. Did this fix any issues?
    Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

Beans
    Distro

Hi, OzzyFrank!

I can gladly confirm that it did! Added the PPA and upgraded ffmpeg yesterday, works as a charm! The menus are visible again and the playback doesn't stutter

For me, the problem is resolved. Will keep an eye on DeVeDe forum however, as I am still unsure whether it is ffmpeg or mencoder or DeVeDe related problem originally.

Thanks.

Kind Regards,
    Veroslav
    Intel Core i7 860 2,8 GHz - 8 GB DDR3 - 1,5 TB SATA 3G - nVidia GeForce GTX 260 1,8 GB - Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by veroslav View Post
    Added the PPA and upgraded ffmpeg yesterday, works as a charm!
    I haven't tried it yet, back I can tell you it KILLED my tovid GUI! I can't encode anything with it now. In case you're wondering why I use 2 programs, besides the fact earlier DeVeDe only used Mencoder, and I prefer FFMPEG coz of the smaller files sizes, tovid GUI lets you pick Quality, meaning 10 might give you an output of 1Gb - 1.5Gb for a 45 min episode, while setting it to 8 would mean between 600Mb and 1Gb. Some shows I left at 10, but increasingly used 8 because that would mean between 4-8 episodes per disc. In DeVeDe there is no reliabilty in estimated filesizes, so I stuck with tovid GUI coz 1) I could pretty much guess the size of the output 2) I could then add them up and correctly know how many will fit on a disc once authored in DeVeDe.

I know this stuff up is because of changes in FFMPEG, and I'm still using an earlier tovid GUI (0.31 - in 0.33, todisc GUI got renamed as tovid GUI, and not only is it nothing like the former, the interface is ghastly and thoroughly confusing!). Still not happy though, hehe...
    Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

Beans
    Distro

Sorry to hear about your problems with tovid GUI, OzzyFrank

I am no video editing expert by any means, I am just using DeVeDe for authoring, as I use VOB files as input to DeVeDe and thus no encoding is needed.

What I usually do is that I have some dvd footage already but some of it might be filled with commercials or spread across multiple dvd:s.

So I import the VOB:s in AviDemux and edit them, exporting to a single VOB I want to make a dvd of. I do this from within DeVeDe, where I also create custom menu and add menu music. Always worked perfectly until 12.04.

Do you see any benefits for me in using tovid GUI? I installed it out of curiousity and it looks a bit advanced.

I also apologize for hi-jacking the thread with an irrelevant discussion about other stuff.

Regards,
    Verolav

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast