Thread: Where Is OpenJDK 7 Installation Directory?

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Where Is OpenJDK 7 Installation Directory?

Been trying to locate where OpenJDK 7 is installed to on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS but have ended up at a dead end. In the previous Ubuntu LTS version one could find out where a package was installed to via Synaptic, in the properties for the selected package.

Does the Ubuntu Software Center have some functionality for finding out where a package has been installed to? Need the information in order to add OpenJDK 7 as a second Java platform for NB 7.1.

I'm not sure if it is possible to change the default JDK used by NB once it has been set during installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Where Is OpenJDK 7 Installation Directory?

It's probably in /usr/bin

If not, try opening a terminal and type
    Code:
    whereis java
    see if that helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 11jmb View Post
    It's probably in /usr/bin

If not, try opening a terminal and type
    Code:
    whereis java
    see if that helps.

Not much help I'm afraid. Normally the JDK is installed somewhere in /usr/lib if I recall correctly. NB doesn't recognise the JDK in /usr/share/java when adding a new Java platform.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmm I won't be much help with netbeans, but I'm pretty sure Ubuntu Software Center will install all of your software in its proper /usr location. you could try a "grep -r -l java /usr" and seeing what comes up. For some weird reason, it may have been installed in /usr/local, as well.

Also, what is your output from "whereis java"?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 11jmb View Post
    Hmm I won't be much help with netbeans, but I'm pretty sure Ubuntu Software Center will install all of your software in its proper /usr location. you could try a "grep -r -l java /usr" and seeing what comes up. For some weird reason, it may have been installed in /usr/local, as well.

Also, what is your output from "whereis java"?
    Here is the output from the whereis command:

java: /usr/bin/java /usr/bin/X11/java /usr/share/java /opt/jdk1.7.0/bin/java /usr/share/man/man1/java.1.gz

The directory /opt/jdk1.7.0 I know about since I installed the Oracle JDK to that location.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

On my 64-bit system it is /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64.

To find your JDK directory reliably you need to follow the links to your javac executable through the alternatives system until you stop hitting symbolic links

Code:
    $ which javac
    /usr/bin/javac
    $ ls -l /usr/bin/javac
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 May  2 10:02 /usr/bin/javac -> /etc/alternatives/javac
    $ ls -l /etc/alternatives/javac
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 May  2 10:02 /etc/alternatives/javac -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/bin/javac
    $ ls -l /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/bin/javac
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6352 Apr 13 04:00 /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/bin/javac
    The location of the JDK for Netbeans, Eclipse, etc. is the directory above the 'bin' directory that contains javac. Hence '/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64'.