Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to transfer iTunes music to Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: How to transfer iTunes music to Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by Zukaro View Post
    Backup your music and other files you want to keep to an external hard drive or if they'll fit to a USB/CD. Then copy them over. If you need to convert them do it in Windows first (unless you can find a tool for Ubuntu for converting audio files).
    Just curious, did you read the posts in this thread? You just said the same thing as FulciLives except he provided very detailed instructions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    Just curious, did you read the posts in this thread? You just said the same thing as FulciLives except he provided very detailed instructions.
    *didn't read all of them* :V

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    Just wanted to post a follow up to what I said above:

Please note that I just tested this and it works

Copy your iTunes folder from it's location in Windows (under My Music) to an external HDD or USB Thumb drive.

After you have Ubuntu installed you need to install Banshee because 12.04 comes with Rhythm Box by default. In my case I also installed ALL of the Banshee add-on's listed under Banshee in the Ubuntu Software Center. You also should install (from the Software Center) the Ubuntu Restricted Codecs (it's called UBUNTU RESTRICTED EXTRAS).

OK after all that is done go ahead and fire up Banshee and select (from the top) EDIT then under that select PREFERENCES

Checkmark the option called, "Copy Files to media folders when importing". The only other thing I checkmarked on this page was the "Update file and folder names" (everything else is optional)

After you do that select (from the top) MEDIA then under that select IMPORT MEDIA

Now change the selection to read, "iTunes Media Player"

It will now let you browse to your iTunes folder and select the XML file. The file is under the iTunes folder (it's easy to find). Select it and click "open" and then "import"

Banshee will now add the iTunes songs to itself BUT (and this is the important part) it will also copy all your music to your Ubuntu MUSIC folder.

After it is done your music is in your Ubuntu MUSIC folder and you can continue to use Banshee or use Rhythm Box or any other Linux based music player.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for taking the time to do this, sorry about the late reply my computer broke. I'm using a school laptop to post this but when (and if) my computer gets fixed I'll try this out. Now I can list this as [Solved].

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zukaro View Post
    Backup your music and other files you want to keep to an external hard drive or if they'll fit to a USB/CD. Then copy them over. If you need to convert them do it in Windows first (unless you can find a tool for Ubuntu for converting audio files).
    Thanks, I'll do this as well when my computer gets back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12