Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unity bars missing after 12.10 upgrade

Beans

Unity bars missing after 12.10 upgrade

Basically, I just upgraded to Quetzal and the resolution and aspect ratio on my display was changed. There is no launcher, no top bar, and the windows (which, by the way, I can only open through the terminal) have no title bars.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity bars missing after 12.10 upgrade

What graphics card have you got. I have an ATI card and have the same problem. There appears to be an issue with the FGLRX drivers which does not seem to be well publicized. I am not sure where to go with this problem.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by Peter09 View Post
    What graphics card have you got. I have an ATI card and have the same problem. There appears to be an issue with the FGLRX drivers which does not seem to be well publicized. I am not sure where to go with this problem.
    As far as I am aware there is a problem with both NVidia and ATI cards which can be solved by:

Code:
     sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    *before* you install the drivers.

Hope this helps.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Which is why you do NOT upgrade to s new Ubuntu version as soon as it comes out. I've been upgrading since 7.04, and in EVERY instance, there are problems with the upgrade.

If you check the forums, you'll see that most of us who have gone through this repeatedly advise that folks wait a while AFTER the release to see what problems are reported, before upgrading.

If Canonical ever went to the trouble to provide a "roll back" option (as in, easily rolling back to the previous install), this would not be much of a problem.
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Which is why you do NOT upgrade to s new Ubuntu version as soon as it comes out. I've been upgrading since 7.04, and in EVERY instance, there are problems with the upgrade.

If you check the forums, you'll see that most of us who have gone through this repeatedly advise that folks wait a while AFTER the release to see what problems are reported, before upgrading.

If Canonical ever went to the trouble to provide a "roll back" option (as in, easily rolling back to the previous install), this would not be much of a problem.
    If no one upgraded, there would be no problems to report. Thus everyone would upgrade thinking there are no problems.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans

What should I do now? I installed linux-headers-generic and then nvidia-current-upgrades, and although the screen resolution is back to normal, there still are no bars. I used to use unity --reset to fix this, but the option is deprecated and I have no idea how to fix anything.

Beans

Exact same problem here, happened on both my desktop with ATI gfx and my Zenbook Ux31 (Intel hd3000). Disappointing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm thinking it can't be as common as you'd think as i can't find much about this.

Yeah anyway, this is really just a me too post. ATI 5870 on a clean 12.10 install.

Additionaly the reason I want to use the proprietry drivers are that my gpu fan speed seems stuck higher than normal. Plus general performance just seems slow or laggy compared to the 12.04 install this replaced.

Was hoping the drivers would fix one or both those issues.

Is fine using windows on the same system btw.

Beans

Just for more information, my graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 3200.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, i had issues today both with my radeon equiped notebook and with my nvidia desktop, ATI seems easier to fix, Nvidia not that easy. Fixed both btw.

For ATI, you need to unistall the FLGRX driver and reboot ( sudo apt-get autoremove fglrx --purge ), for Nvidia install the NON proprietary driver, worked here flawless after install and reboot. ( ALt+F2 or CTRL+ALT+T to bring up terminal)
    Nvidia: Go to "Software Resources" and click on the "Additional Drivers" tab, select and activate the non proprietary driver and install, reboot. Source: http://askubuntu.com/questions/20275...ations-missing

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainLion37 View Post
    Basically, I just upgraded to Quetzal and the resolution and aspect ratio on my display was changed. There is no launcher, no top bar, and the windows (which, by the way, I can only open through the terminal) have no title bars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast