Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVDs don't play...

Beans

DVDs don't play...

DVDs don't play, even though the media player is installed. Am playing discs that I get from commercial sources.

I have read threads on here, but get no result when trying to follow them. I need plain, straightforward English, and step-by-step help. Please don't assume I know what stuff means and how to do things. eg what is kubuntu??!

Have 11.10 on my pc. Use dongle, so pages can be slow to use. Cannot get cable connection at the moment.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: DVDs don't play...

My first thought is that you short libdvdcss and libdvdnav.

See if you can install those two packages.

If you have the data and connectivity I highly recommend this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

It prevents many a multimedia problem
    I5 3ghz , 16gig RAM, Nvidia Geforce GT610 1gig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Also, make sure you have "Ubuntu Restricted Extras" installed from the software centre.
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!

Beans

Have you used the wiki before?

Check out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Press Control-Alt-T to open a terminal. Copy and paste the following into it:

Code:
    sudo -E wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update
    (it seems like a lot, but it's one step in the terminal rather than 10 steps in the GUI).

You will be asked for your password - just type it in and bear in mind that it won't show any indication that you've typed anything. Press Enter and wait until the whole process has finished. Then copy and paste this in:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install vlc libdvdcss2
    So what does all this do? It tells the Ubuntu system where to find another software repository called Medibuntu. It also enables some extra security for this repository and gets the list of packages from it.

The second command installs VLC from the normal Ubuntu repository, and the DVD decryption support from Medibuntu. You should use VLC for DVD playback as the default Totem media player doesn't work so well for DVDs.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Follow 3rdalbum's instructions , you will need that package to play many DVDS.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Press Control-Alt-T to open a terminal. Copy and paste the following into it:

Code:
    sudo -E wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update
    (it seems like a lot, but it's one step in the terminal rather than 10 steps in the GUI).

You will be asked for your password - just type it in and bear in mind that it won't show any indication that you've typed anything. Press Enter and wait until the whole process has finished. Then copy and paste this in:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install vlc libdvdcss2
    So what does all this do? It tells the Ubuntu system where to find another software repository called Medibuntu. It also enables some extra security for this repository and gets the list of packages from it.

The second command installs VLC from the normal Ubuntu repository, and the DVD decryption support from Medibuntu. You should use VLC for DVD playback as the default Totem media player doesn't work so well for DVDs.
    Thanks for your reply. Please, what password? My ubuntu forum one? My pc one? I tried using my pc password, got lots of lines of stuff appear in the Forum, but nothing actually happened. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PriceChild View Post
    Have you used the wiki before?

Check out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs
    Yes, have looked on the forums, but as I said, I don't understand anything I found, and I need simple and clear help. Thanks for your reply.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_Mazal View Post
    My first thought is that you short libdvdcss and libdvdnav.

See if you can install those two packages.

If you have the data and connectivity I highly recommend this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

It prevents many a multimedia problem
    Thanks for your reply. However, I don't understand what you meant when you wrote: 'My first thought is that you short libdvdcss and libdvdnav', please can you explain it to me? Please use very plain language, as if you are explaining it to your gran - Iam old enough to be a gran actually... )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick_NZ View Post
    Also, make sure you have "Ubuntu Restricted Extras" installed from the software centre.
    Thanks for your reply. It is installed. DVDs don't play I get a message that says that the dvd won't play, perhaps because it is encrypted. What do you suggest? Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast