19 1.08%
  • I have a different card

136 7.72%
Page 182 of 199 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 1981

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Hey, I know this is a Big Bump but I'm sorry, I get to the Part where you say

The next step was the roughest. The make install SEEMED like it worked because it didn't give me any errors, but really it didn't work because later when I need to run modprobe acer_acpi, it just fails with FATAL: module acer_acpi not found. I did this to fix it:

cp -v acer_acpi.ko /lib/modules/2.6.16-20-generic/kernel/drivers/char/acer-acpi.ko

Note that 2.6.16-20-generic might be different, so you need to type "uname -r" to find out what it is.

Now I can do modprobe... so continuing on... but first replace su with sudo su (I get authorization failed with just typing su)
    but i only get errors =/

Code:
    root@balmung-laptop:/home/balmung/Desktop/acer_acpi-0.6# cp -v acer_acpi.ko /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/char/acer_acpi.ko
    `acer_acpi.ko' -> `/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/char/acer_acpi.ko'
    root@balmung-laptop:/home/balmung/Desktop/acer_acpi-0.6# sudo su
    root@balmung-laptop:/home/balmung/Desktop/acer_acpi-0.6# modprobe acer_acpi
    FATAL: Module acer_acpi not found.
    root@balmung-laptop:/home/balmung/Desktop/acer_acpi-0.6#
    Anyone know whats Up X_X?

Beans

Thumbs down Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Some frustration + no perspiration(Ac-cabin )+ belief in community
    = EUreka..err... E..UBUNTU..!!!

Yes Gentlemen & Ladies ( r u there..? )... It worked for me successfully & I'm content with the result..

God " / " Bless all of Us..

Beans

worked straight out of the box with an acer ferrari 4005 after fresh install, i didn't have to follow the acer link.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I followed this method (ie. ran the script) and it won't list the networks in my area or allow me to connect unless I sit close by my router. If I use the Restricted drivers I get a list of the networks in my area, however the performance is terrible.
    Help?

Beans

This forum was so helpful, I actually joined the forums just to thank the poster. I am using BackTrack 2.0 which does not initially recognize my Acer Aspire 5610Z broadcom WLAN adapter. I was so disappointed when I couldn't get wireless support for this distro. This actually worked under Slax, and being a Linux newbie, I was very happy to see it did. This guide was well written.

Go for the win!

A thousand internets for this one.

Thank you very much.

Serpentarius

Beans

Thanks!

I had to post and say thanks. I thought I'd be trying to get my wireless running for days...not anymore!

I tried many different things so I do not consider my install even remotely 'fresh'. It still worked great.

Cannot thank you enough!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have wrestled with the Broadcom wireless card in my Dell Latitude laptop for months- sometimes it worked (ndiswrapper), sometimes it didn't, especially in WPA protected networks.
    Last week, I solved the problem for good.

1.) I bought an HP nc6400 notebook with an Intel PRO wireless 3945 card in a liquidation sale, and it worked right out of the box.
    2.) I will either replace the Broadcom card in my Dell laptop with an Intel or an Atheros one, or sell the Dell laptop.
    3.) I will never, EVER, buy a laptop with a Broadcom wireless card, ever again!

I truly appreciate the help in this thread I have received in the past, but Broadcom should have started to support Linux a long time ago. Good bye, Broadcom!

Beans

Please forgive my utter Linignorance:

When I read "Close All Package Managers"... How exactly do I do that?

I'm trying to get my 4318 working using all the helpful posts here, but it seems that package manager(s) are open.

Thanks,
    Shawn

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by u4u View Post
    Please forgive my utter Linignorance:

When I read "Close All Package Managers"... How exactly do I do that?

I'm trying to get my 4318 working using all the helpful posts here, but it seems that package manager(s) are open.

Thanks,
    Shawn
    No worries

Just make sure that you don't have any other programs open when you run the script and you'll be fine.

Beans

Thank you very very much, you guys rock. This was my very first linux install, and I'm happy to report that everything works now.

Page 182 of 199 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192 ... LastLast