19 1.08%
  • I have a different card

136 7.72%
Page 189 of 199 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 1981

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Weird. I fiddled with my router, based on various Googling. Tried setting it to WPA AES instead. Wouldn't connect. Turned off security. Wouldn't connect. Turned it back to what it was (WPA TKIP), and suddenly it connected.

No idea what changed.

I'm using the b43 drivers, I think, and now wireless is working. Don't know what the heck happened. I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, but this is just weird. Just throwing this out there in case it helps someone else figure out these cards.

Beans

Thanks for the update for hardy, but what do you do if the Hardware Drivers program does not show an entry for the wireless card? All mine shows is nvidia

I assume I need to download something. I have a Broadcom 4312 on a Dell D630.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by compwiz18 View Post
    Hardy

This process is vastly simplified in Hardy. The easiest way to do it is to open the Hardware Drivers program (go to the System menu in the top left corner of the screen, and click Administration, and then Hardware Drivers) and check the Broadcom B43 wireless driver box, and reboot.
    Done.
    I previously had wifi working using ndiswrapper so i had a few issues which i will list here
    first off the Hardware Drivers menu item wasnt there however I looked for it in add and remove software, found it and was told it conflicted with something else and to install through synaptic (it needs to install a package called jockey-gtk) anyway it uninstalled the conflicting package and installed and I could install the b43 driver...

but it still didn't work this was because I had ndiswrapper in modules so a quick sudo nano /etc/modules and a # in front of ndiswrapper and a reboot later the wireless was on

i just needed to configure it in networks and job done.

(if you blacklisted b43 in your blacklist un-blacklist it)

interesting little point the reason for using ndiswrapper was the bcm43xx
    driver could only power the wireless to 18dbm where ndiswrapper would be 25dbm. with the b43 driver its 27dbm for tx power so it really is the way to go for the bcm4318 chipset.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards Hardy

the B43 driver is driving me frigging nuts. It just keeps cutting out. Pidgin keep connecting and reconnecting, my apt-get downloads keep stalling...UGGGG.

anyone have any advice?

Beans

I got my BCM4318 working. I had bcmw15 installed in ndiswrapper. I removed that, then picked the B43 wireless driver and presto. I assume it had something to do with the ndiswrapper? Dunno. May help someone.

I just got this working. I have not noticed it dropping out or anything yet. It is working fine as of right now.

Beans

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

The Gusty tutorial worked fine, but then when I upgraded to Hardy I got the following problem (after a clean install) when trying to follow the new instruction, which "is vastly simplified"

The Hardware Drivers program opens up and allows me to click on my driver (after allowing resporitries in synaptic, and clicking on the cd), and after the first run, of attempting to install, it gave me an error. The second time I tried it, the whole system crashed (unusually for Linux) about 3 seconds after clicking install, forcing me to do a hard shut down. This has happened every time (about 3) since, and I don't want to try again .
    Hardy Herron 8.04 - Dell Latitude C610 (pretty old laptop)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm working on it, but I ran into some trouble getting ndiswrapper to work properly, so expect a bit of a delay.

If anyone has ndiswrapper working on Hardy, I'd like to talk to you - if you can post what you did to get it working, that'd be good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

netword DISABLED

Quote Originally Posted by OldGreySteve View Post
    Thanks for the update for hardy, but what do you do if the Hardware Drivers program does not show an entry for the wireless card? All mine shows is nvidia

I assume I need to download something. I have a Broadcom 4312 on a Dell D630.
    BAM! Right on. The only item that shows up in my Hardware Drivers gadget is:

"ATI FIRE GL" Enabled [check] (Not In Use)
    Running {sudo lshw -C network} shows me my wirless card is disabled:

*-network:1
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 3
    bus info: pci@0000:0b:03.0
    version: 02
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master
    configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=64 module=ssb
    *-network DISABLED
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: wlan0
    serial: deleted by user
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
    I am picking up quite a bit of conflicting information regarding the Broadcom BCM4318 wireless chip with 8.04.

I'd rather not go the ndiswrapper route, but because I'm brand new to Ubuntu (not new to unix), I am open to recommendations.

Also, compuwiz18: I ran the code sequence you recommended back around post #1003 (12 JAN 2007). Here's the output:

pjohnston@Odin06:~$ sudo ndiswrapper –l
    No drivers installed
    pjohnston@Odin06:~$ sudo ndiswrapper –m
    Adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper

* The update-modules command is deprecated and should not be used!

pjohnston@Odin06:~$ sudo iwlist scan
    lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

pjohnston@Odin06:~$ sudo uname –a
    Linux Odin06 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 13:23:42 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
    Thanks,
    Paul
    Last edited by unMourned; April 28th, 2008 at 03:34 AM.
    Hardy Heron. Laptop Model: zd8000 (zd8230us): {CPU: 3.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 650 processor, ATI Radeon X600, 2GB RAM, Wireless: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (AirForce One 54g)} WOOT-finally got wireless working as of: 2008-04-28

Beans

I appear to be in same boat as many. I have a 4318 rev2 which worked fine under Gutsy, on an Acer Aspire 3000.

I enabled the b43 driver and the proprietary drivers via hard connection. The driver itself seems to be working - the wireless light is on and I can turn it on and off via the driver.

Under "Edit Wireless Networks, all my networks are there. They do not show up as available networks to connect to, however.

ndiswrapper is uninstalled,and I have the BCM43XX driver blacklisted. I have gone through several threads and ideas here, and nothing works.

This is very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymo1741 View Post
    I appear to be in same boat as many. I have a 4318 rev2 which worked fine under Gutsy, on an Acer Aspire 3000.

I enabled the b43 driver and the proprietary drivers via hard connection. The driver itself seems to be working - the wireless light is on and I can turn it on and off via the driver.

Under "Edit Wireless Networks, all my networks are there. They do not show up as available networks to connect to, however.

ndiswrapper is uninstalled,and I have the BCM43XX driver blacklisted. I have gone through several threads and ideas here, and nothing works.

This is very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.
    You're one step closer than I am. My wireless is still DISABLED, and I cannot see any of the five (5!) surrounding wireless networks (that XP sees just fine). I am with ya, mikeymo.
    Hardy Heron. Laptop Model: zd8000 (zd8230us): {CPU: 3.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 650 processor, ATI Radeon X600, 2GB RAM, Wireless: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 (AirForce One 54g)} WOOT-finally got wireless working as of: 2008-04-28

Page 189 of 199 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191 ... LastLast