• I have a different card

136 7.72%
Page 3 of 199 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Quote Originally Posted by s2k
    Ok now i am having the exact same problem.
    Muahhahahahaha, now you will all taste my disease! It's like spoiling a movie, you can't unlearn it!

I'm going to try the 2.6.17 kernel thanks to the /. story, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Beans

Ok i think i have a new finding. when i have a wired connection to my router and im viewing a site such a google images and i disconnect the plug from my laptop i notice that if i click links in the same site the page loads and packets are being sent and recived on the wireless connection. But i cannot go to sites such as yahoo.com, gamefaqs.com.....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by s2k
    What is this "script"?
    Maybe I should have said this "procedure".

Beans
    Hidden!

Yeah, I'm way too much of a noob to deal with 288 warnings/errors. 2.6.17 is going to have to remain a mystery for the time being.

Great news, I got it! My steps were fairly simple.
    Step 0: Make sure it's plugged in (to the wired lan).
    Step 1: Format the hard drive and re-install from the Dapper 6.06 disk.
    Step 2: Run the script from the tarball per your instructions in the first post
    Step 3: Enable eth1 in the Networking admin tool.
    Step 4: sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
    Step 5: Reboot.

Edit:
    Step 6: Install automatix and begin running it.
    Step 7: Notice that it gets stuck mid download (side effect of a fickle signal and an installer that doesn't retry anything) and attempt to jump start it by pressing the "enable/disable wlan" button on the keyboard twice. Noting that the software connection strength meter dropped to zero when I pressed it the first time then never came back.
    Step 8: Disable then re-enable eth1 in the Network admin tool, noting that the signal strength meter returned to it's normal (albiet probably incorrect) 100%. Also noting that it won't surf the internet... or ping out... but it did have a good IP and a signal.
    Step 9: Cry, then simultaneously pray and reboot.
    Step 10: Wonder why gnome locks on bootup.
    Step 11: GOTO step 0.
    Last edited by teryret; June 20th, 2006 at 11:35 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by teryret
    Yeah, I'm way too much of a noob to deal with 288 warnings/errors. 2.6.17 is going to have to remain a mystery for the time being.

Great news, I got it! My steps were fairly simple.
    Step 0: Make sure it's plugged in (to the wired lan).
    Step 1: Format the hard drive and re-install from the Dapper 6.06 disk.
    Step 2: Run the script from the tarball per your instructions in the first post
    Step 3: Enable eth1 in the Networking admin tool.
    Step 4: sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
    Step 5: Reboot.

Edit:
    Step 6: Install automatix and begin running it.
    Step 7: Notice that it gets stuck mid download (side effect of a fickle signal and an installer that doesn't retry anything) and attempt to jump start it by pressing the "enable/disable wlan" button on the keyboard twice. Noting that the software connection strength meter dropped to zero when I pressed it the first time then never came back.
    Step 8: Disable then re-enable eth1 in the Network admin tool, noting that the signal strength meter returned to it's normal (albiet probably incorrect) 100%. Also noting that it won't surf the internet... or ping out... but it did have a good IP and a signal.
    Step 9: Cry, then simultaneously pray and reboot.
    Step 10: Wonder why gnome locks on bootup.
    Step 11: GOTO step 0.
    THANK YOU!!!111
    im not sure exactly what i just did but it seemed to have worked. Im using automatix right now over my wireless connection...=D> .....but i hope to god this works when i restart

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Edit: Didn't see the third page, some of this is repeated.
    Edit 2: You can edit /etc/modules and add ndiswrapper to the bottom...I will update the script to do that automatically. This fixed a few problems, such as running the dumb thing at every boot.

I WIN
    Ok, so it appears that there was an update maybe? that everyone downloaded that broke it. Anyways, running dhclient fixed it for me

I did, in this order, all as superuser

Code:
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    [push wifi button on computer - it didn't light up, pushing it fixed it]
    ifdown eth1 [where eth1 is the network interface]
    ifup eth1
    dhclient
    If your ISP gave you DNS servers you have to use, add them in the network manager under the DNS tab.

Otherwise, it should work
    Last edited by compwiz18; June 20th, 2006 at 11:37 PM.

Beans

YAY!! It works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks, it works.

I had to run dos2unix on the ndiswrapper_setup script file for some reason. Not sure if anybody else had to do that. I also had to execute
    Code:
    $ sudo ifdown eth0
    to stop the wired lan port since it was set as the default gateway. After that it seems to work fine.

Not why the wl_apsta.o nor bcmwl5.sys don't don't work directly. I'm going to try to keep working with that too to see if I can get it to work. I think there actually included in the 2.6.17 kernel.

The Network Manager Applet doesn't seem to work now. Possibly because the wireless lan is now identified as wlan0 instead of eth1. I can live with that for now.

Has there been any discussion on somehow making netowrking automaticlly select the best lan for the gateway?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

This works great.. been using it for about a week with no problems.. but you could make it even easier by including ndis with the script

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

That would be nice...but there is a ~800kb size limit on files, and the drivers are rather large - about 75% of that. Maybe I'll try later...
    EDIT: It is updated. Have fun.
    Last edited by compwiz18; June 21st, 2006 at 12:20 AM.

Page 3 of 199 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast