19 1.08%
  • I have a different card

136 7.72%
Page 17 of 199 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

EDIT: Post is irrelevant now.
    Last edited by Max Roswell; July 13th, 2006 at 02:23 PM.

Beans

Looks like you have been doing a great job with this,and will make quite a name for yourself compwiz!

Anyways,I have been having the exact same problem as overkill-I wonder if this is a recent bug from a recent change to the scripts you provided?

I am using a compaq r4225ca (r4000-canadian version)with an AMD athlon 64 processor running AMD64 dapper.
    It's running on 2.6.15-23-amd64-generic kernal.

I used to run suse 10 on this laptop and was able to compile ndiswrapper and find a working 64 bit driver for the card.

Anyways,I have installed dapper over suse for a try-I had the wireless working briefly with no security on my lan.when i restored wep and stopped broadcasting my ssid I lost it.

At this point (yesterday) I found your post and ran the script while on the wired lan for the 64 bit driver with network manager.It wiped out any reference to eth0 (or whatever one displayed the wireless.)

I ran the commands that you told overkill to run,and have the same results as he posted.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Network Manager makes the default network configuration box (the one under system - administration - networking) not work, so don't use it (unless, of course, you have some reason you would want to )
    Last edited by compwiz18; July 13th, 2006 at 05:01 PM.

Beans

Yes,I did notice that-but the only option that network manager seems to be giving is wired network as well....
    I also attempted to run the other 64 bit package that is provided,and I did it with an insecure wireless lan.
    Last edited by electrocutioner; July 13th, 2006 at 04:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

First: I'm just wondering. I have VMware on this computer, and it sometimes makes my network connection funny - i.e. It connects to the network, but can't use the internet for anything. Running sudo dhclient multiple (10) times or so usually fixes the problem...anyone else have the same issue?

Anyone who is having this problem and has VMware installed, try running sudo dhclient many times, until it says that eth1 is bound to some ip...

Second: @electrocutioner - the workingness of the 64-bit driver is debatable...if you have the driver you used in suse then maybe try that?

Beans

I found this driver by 'Satsuma' at planet amd a few months back-I remeber trying several variations with this laptop and linuxant,this was the only one that ever worked-it also ran under ndiswrapper under suse and briefly under ubuntu..
    is this the same one you were using?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by electrocutioner View Post
    I found this driver by 'Satsuma' at planet amd a few months back-I remeber trying several variations with this laptop and linuxant,this was the only one that ever worked-it also ran under ndiswrapper under suse and briefly under ubuntu..
    is this the same one you were using?
    Nope, the one I'm using came from the Acer website, I believe. Try that one, if it works, I may just update my post

Beans

I will try it when I get home-do I just replace the inf files in the folder that you provided and run the same script?

Oh yes,BTW?The inf from the acer website never did work on this laptop...

Beans

Anyone here using a PCI card? i use an Asus WL-138G PCI Adapter, should it still work or is this more for laptops?

Thanks

Beans

Loosing the will to live....

I seem to be having limited success with The Ravens guide here

But I have a couple of problems...

1. The network manager is not loading at start-up. There is an error relating to network manager when intalling(?) ndiswrapper.

2. I got as far as Step 11 with no problems (or so i thought, it would appear i have a Network Manager problem) and was able to get google, and I'm sure it was access via wireless...

I then got to step 14, but then it came to this step:

"Now push the wifi network connect/disconnect button on your computer..."

I have an Asus PCI adapter and as far as i can tell there is no button...

i tried to go to step 15) UN@CN:~/Desktop# ifdown eth1

And got the following result:

"ifdown: interface eth1 not configured"

Well it is configured in Networking under System menu.

So i thought it was maybe because I had not turned wireless off and on, so I restarted PC. No connection at all, both eth1 and eth0 were deactivated, activated eth1, still not internet connection.

Tried ifdown eth1 again and got same error....

I think i am just a few steps away from getting my wireless card working, any suggestions. PLEASE!

(im on the verge of buying a new, supported, PCI Adapter)

Page 17 of 199 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast