Thread: Wubi Win7 Ubuntu file transfer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wubi Win7 Ubuntu file transfer.

I have a dual boot setup on my laptop now after using Wubi under Win7. 12.04 is installed on the same partition and all is well. I would now like to transfer everything from mydocuments, mymusic, mythis and mythat to the ubuntu subdirectories of Documents, Pictures, Video that we typically find under the /Home directory of the Linux file system.

Am I going to have to pull everything off of windoze with a thumb drive, dual boot and move it back after dual booting into ubuntu or is there a more straight forward method.

These files are all on the same disk and, they are all on the same partition because I used Wubi.exe.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanx
    "...a version of cron was created that spent most of its time sleeping, waiting for the moment in time when the task at the head of the event list was to be executed..."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Wubi Win7 Ubuntu file transfer.

You windows host partition is mounted on /host

I don't recommend copying your data files to your /home directory though, because Wubi uses a virtual disk (root.disk) that is a single file stored on your Windows partition. And when you copy files to Ubuntu, they are stored within this single file. That works fine, but there is a higher risk of data loss if you have file system corruption (e.g. from a hard shutdown).

If you do copy files to /home then consider using Ubuntu One or take regular backups. Or consider doing a normal dual boot (not with Wubi).

PS if Ubuntu does freeze, resist the urge to power off. Use Alt+SysRq R-E-I-S-U-B instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wubi Win7 Ubuntu file transfer.

Thanks for the info ...

I'll probably pull everything across a USB port to spare drive and put it in my sock drawer.

tayl
    "...a version of cron was created that spent most of its time sleeping, waiting for the moment in time when the task at the head of the event list was to be executed..."