Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Android's new ally against the iPhone: Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Android's new ally against the iPhone: Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    You would prefer a traditional desktop design?????????????????????????
    When Ubuntu made Unity the default desktop, I moved over to Lubuntu. Much cleaner desktop environment, in my opinion.

Also not very impressed with the new Gnome 3 look , which is a pity as Gnome has been my preferred DE since Hardy.

Registered Linux User No.: 511087
    Kein Mitleid Für MicroSoft

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    On the desktop? Well -- yes. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

You're not using Ubuntu on the phone, but Android. When you're using the phone as a glorified CPU, then you're using it as a desktop.

So...

Yes, I'd prefer a traditional desktop.
    You'll probably be able to use LXDE as well as it's in the ARM repositories, but you'd lose access to the tight integration between Android and Ubuntu. You might even lose access to the Android programs on the Lubuntu desktop.

You see, things that are difficult to implement in an old-fashioned desktop such as LXDE, are very easy to implement in Unity.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Thehumorouscheese View Post

i though ubuntu was made for people with experience in computing?

quoting someone's signature:
    "ubuntu assumes you know what you're doing"
    You misunderstood slightly. Ubuntu is totally suitable for beginners. The phrase "Ubuntu assumes you know what you're doing" means that Ubuntu won't assume that it knows better than you. Ubuntu isn't easy to break, but if you start doing stuff as root (for example, removing packages) Ubuntu won't try to stop you. Being root means "Stand back, I know what I'm doing".

You can use Ubuntu and know very little about computers. But if you know just enough to be dangerous (you know 'sudo'), and are foolhardy enough, Ubuntu won't stop you from doing system-breaking things.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    You misunderstood slightly. Ubuntu is totally suitable for beginners. The phrase "Ubuntu assumes you know what you're doing" means that Ubuntu won't assume that it knows better than you. Ubuntu isn't easy to break, but if you start doing stuff as root (for example, removing packages) Ubuntu won't try to stop you. Being root means "Stand back, I know what I'm doing".

You can use Ubuntu and know very little about computers. But if you know just enough to be dangerous (you know 'sudo'), and are foolhardy enough, Ubuntu won't stop you from doing system-breaking things.
    Well put. Ubuntu is great for beginners and experienced alike.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMTtakeover View Post
    That Ubuntu mobile mock-up is looking pretty nice
    agreed.
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234