Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: no printer since precise pangolin

Beans

Re: no printer since precise pangolin

Same issue here - only since upgrade. Can print light text (gedit document), but any image or the like results in "memoryfull" , ioerror, limitcheck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by harfin View Post
    Tried printing test page again this am. Ready light flashed, cartridges moved as if about to print, few more winks of the light, then steady, then cartridges moved back to standby.

I still cannot sign on to CUPS to perform admin tasks, no matter what I enter as user and password.

So, can someone tell us what is going on with 12.04 and printers?

Alan
    The fact that you're unable to log onto CUPS makes me wonder if you have something odd going on with your 12.04 installation. Some sort of permissions problem? Something to do with a fire wall? Do you have a means to do a second clean install without messing with your current?

I had printing issues during 12.04's gestation -- Brother printers would take 45-50 seconds from pressing the 'print' button to the printer coming alive. That was remedied on one of the last updates prior to 12.04 being released, both MFCs come alive within 10 seconds of pressing the 'print' button. There were 3 or 4 CUPS updates after 12.04 A2 was released.

Beans

I have the same problem, no printing in Precise... I hope to follow these posts until I find a solution...
    thank you - Alleykat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Kylin 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    The fact that you're unable to log onto CUPS makes me wonder if you have something odd going on with your 12.04 installation. Some sort of permissions problem? Something to do with a fire wall? Do you have a means to do a second clean install without messing with your current?

I had printing issues during 12.04's gestation -- Brother printers would take 45-50 seconds from pressing the 'print' button to the printer coming alive. That was remedied on one of the last updates prior to 12.04 being released, both MFCs come alive within 10 seconds of pressing the 'print' button. There were 3 or 4 CUPS updates after 12.04 A2 was released.
    Karl, I am loath to try reinstalling as the 1st time took so long, and (other than my printer issue) it works very well; can be a bit slow at boot-up though. The time for Pangolin download wasn't helped the following day by having to download a brand new version of the complete Open Office suite. The descriptor of my 12.04 version is 12.04 LTS, Is that the same as the one you refer to?

Only other event that occurred with the 12.04, is that my Belkin wireless device has for some reason ceased to work when I sign on to the Windows XP sign on option. It's not a real issue, and one I'll get around to in due course.

Regards
    Alan

Beans

I have just done a complete fresh install of 12.04 with no improvement - still the message "ERROR NAME: memoryfull" printed on the sheet of paper. I am even using Unity rather than installing my preferred option of cinnamon. My next re-install will be Mint 12; I know that works ok. A shame as I have been using Ubuntu since Feisty Fawn.

Beans

There are confirmed bugs on Launchpad relating to network and wireless printing (though not to local host printing). This would suggest that the problem is fairly general and we may just have to wait for a bug fix.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by florus View Post
    There are confirmed bugs on Launchpad relating to network and wireless printing (though not to local host printing). This would suggest that the problem is fairly general and we may just have to wait for a bug fix.
    Hopefully we will not have to wait TOO long for someone to fix the bug(s).
    Alan

Beans

I keep trying to find a workaround, but there seems to be no way of trying different drivers for the printer.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by florus View Post
    I had a look through these, and it appears that all is not well with 12.04. I found another bug (not connected with printing) that I experience since 12.04 with Evolution and icons. I wonder how may more there are yet to crop up.

Beans

There are inevitably bugs in a new release, but this is the first time that one as seriously inconvenienced me. I check for known issues before installing, but there was nothing about printing problems.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast