Thread: Slow login on Xubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Slow login on Xubuntu 12.04

Thank you, this works for me.

Beans

Why is xargs started with sudo in your script lightdm-restart on line 10?

(sudo xargs kill -9)

Doesn´t it prompt for a password? Isn´t the the entire script run with root privileges?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Orbital_sFear View Post
    Alrighty, I have a more hackish solution that actually works now. I've done more research. It looks like the correct time for accounts_daemon to start is while the user owned lightdm --session-child is running.

I made a script which starts just before lightdm, and then watches for lightdm session-child to start. Keep in mind this is a total hack.

If anyone has followed my previous post on the startxfce4-modifed script, please remove that script, and set your xsession back to startxfce4.

Brief explanation about what this does. We will save two script files into your /usr/sbin folder (The same folder where lightdm lives). Ensure the permissions allow those to run. Then we will edit your lightdm upstart job to run the scripts. One of the scripts simply calls the other, and then starts lightdm. The other runs a ps -aef every 0.5 seconds looking for a lightdm session child that isn't running as root. When one is found, it restarts the accounts_daemon.

We run in between lightdm because lightdm is ran as root.

Here is the list of things to do:
    1. Store the attached tar file.
    2. Extract the tar file to /usr/sbin/ (lightdm-safe and lightdm-restart)
    3. Ensure the permissions on the files are correct.
    cd /usr/sbin
    sudo chown root:root lightdm-safe lightdm-restart
    sudo chmod 755 lightdm-safe lightdm-restart
    4. Edit /etc/init/lightdm.conf:
    Change the line that reads:
    exec lightdm
    to read:
    exec lightdm-safe

You can have extra arguments after the lightdm-safe script, they get passed through to lightdm. I have --log-file=/var/log/lightdm for arguments on mine.

I've restarted several times with this method, and it works everytime for me.

-Orbital
    Thanks! That worked for me too!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi Guys.
    Also my system has this bug.

But I think that problems is involved for a package update.

Yesterday I migrated from Kubuntu 11.10 to Xubuntu 12.04.
    I've made a fresh Xubuntu 12.04 install from Live CD formatting my "/" partition.

After install (without make any package update), my system was fine for hours. Login/logout many time without any issue.

Yesterday evening I applied the proposal update (61 packages involved).
    After that the bug is come !

I've reinstalled again Xubuntu and I care about this.
    Same thing: all works fine since I make package update. After that ... login bug.

So I suppose that a newer package cause this bug.
    But I don't know which package.....
    Last edited by ambrosa; May 14th, 2012 at 07:37 AM.

Beans

I reset my old account here just to thank you, this issue has been bothering me since I upgraded to 12.04 and now this fixes it. Thank you!

Beans

With the workarounds posted above, I still have lightdm freezing now and then after logout.

I downloaded, compiled, and installed accountsservice-0.6.20 from http://www.freedesktop.org/software/accountsservice/ into /usr/local/etc.

Now all freezes, both at login and logout, are gone.

(The xubuntu accountsservice is still at 0.6.15 and probably needs an update.)

Beans

I have the same issue on MY XUBUNTU 12.04 install. I have an upgrade running form 11.10 to 12.04. I noticed that it takes what I consider a long time to
    1. Get to log in screen
    2. and after log in get to completed desktop. Now as I am used to using windows where this is typical behavior its not a deal breaker for me but it IS noticeable compared to other distros I have tried. I'm a little hesitant to try a hack in the fear it could bonk my system. But I thought I would throw my situation into this forum too to let folks know that it appears to be NOT an isolated incident.
    However that said...big thanks to the person who came up to with the workaround.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Dear klauskudielka

I've tried to compile account service 0.6.20 with success but I've a problem.

First of all a little howto for other guys:

sudo apt-get install build-essential
    sudo apt-get install intltool
    sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
    sudo apt-get install libpolkit-gobject-1

download http://www.freedesktop.org/software/...-0.6.20.tar.xz and extract with
    tar xvf accountsservice-0.6.20.tar.xz
    cd accountsservice-0.6.20
    ./configure
    make

now I've simply changed the original daemon with newer (making a backup first)
    sudo cp -a /usr/lib/accountsservice/accounts-daemon /usr/lib/accountsservice/accounts-daemon.bak
    sudo killall accounts-daemon
    sudo cp src/accounts-daemon /usr/lib/accountsservice/accounts-daemon

and finally I restart my system.

The problem is that login manager shows ALL accounts (see image).

But you have right: slow login/logout DISAPPEAR !!

Do you know which configure option I need to set to avoid all users in login manager ?
    Or the problem is regarding old configuration (0.6.15) files ?

EDIT: tried with ./configure --prefix=/usr but no change
    Last edited by ambrosa; May 16th, 2012 at 06:06 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosa View Post

Do you know which configure option I need to set to avoid all users in login manager ?
    I guess there is some xubuntu-specific configuration. Probably you need to get the xubuntu source package (accountsservice) and see what they did with the original 0.6.15 source.

For me, the login screen is a cosmetic issue, at least it works.

Klaus

Beans
    Hidden!

I installed Xubuntu 12.04 on a laptop and a desktop...only saw the slow login issue on the desktop. Other than hardware the difference in the setup was that I had multiple user accounts on the laptop and only a single user on the desktop. I just added another user to the desktop and the problem seems to be gone.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast