Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Commonly Used Sudo Commands for (*)Ubuntu/Unity Crash Recovery

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Commonly Used Sudo Commands for (*)Ubuntu/Unity Crash Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    They aren't specific to any +1 version, but we seem to get quite a few new users that have no idea how to solve a problem via the command line, so the thread will stay where it is, to help them on their way to fixing a broken installation.

Thanks. I have been unbelievably busy. Unfortunately the wiki may suffer from non-updated content as well as here on the sticky. I am hoping to have another stretch of spare time come up soon and I have some utility duties on the list. This may not be until after the final release of raring .. but I am still on to getting this updated as soon as I can.

Regards,

Ventrical
    Last edited by ventrical; April 9th, 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We are discussing bringing back the Tutorial and Tips sub-forum, as for most the wiki experiment has been a dismal failure. I'm also not sure what is going to happen with the U+1 testing team, as Effenberg0x0 was going through some personal probelms, and has seemed to have disappeared.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    We are discussing bringing back the Tutorial and Tips sub-forum, as for most the wiki experiment has been a dismal failure. I'm also not sure what is going to happen with the U+1 testing team, as Effenberg0x0 was going through some personal probelms, and has seemed to have disappeared.

I had noticed that users both verteran and new seem to be centered and affixed to Ubuntu-forums. Embedding a message base into the wiki would have been useless duplicity. All the hard, cutting edge action is at ubuntu-forums scratch pad. effenberg said he would be back . He owns U+1 wiki.

And as for U+1 ... is it not obsoleted?? If so , then the wiki was doomed to failure anyways not by my hands.

Beans
    Distro

Cleaned out the U+1 Testers wiki and renamed it Rolling Release in my sig.

Regards,

Ventrical

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I had noticed that users both verteran and new seem to be centered and affixed to Ubuntu-forums. Embedding a message base into the wiki would have been useless duplicity. All the hard, cutting edge action is at ubuntu-forums scratch pad.

effenberg said he would be back . He owns U+1 wiki.

And as for U+1 ... is it not obsoleted?? If so , then the wiki was doomed to failure anyways not by my hands.
    Hey Sorry for disappearing, I had to take some time off and deal with personal stuff... I completely missed this cycle, but I'll be here for the next.
    BTW, I own nothing, everything is free as in (free beer|speech)
    There's a lot to do in testing-documentation, dev. and doc. of testing methods/best-practices, user-oriented documentation, etc. There has always been, there will always be room for contribution and improvement, whatever the development model is (rolling, bumping, jumping, swimming, etc). And we're not even talking seriously about testing in other platforms (mobile, etc). We'll think of something to do next cycle and, obviously, stuff to bother Nick with.

Regards,
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; April 9th, 2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: I forgot everything about [tags] in 6 months.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    Hey Sorry for disappearing, I had to take some time off and deal with personal stuff... I completely missed this cycle, but I'll be here for the next.
    BTW, I own nothing, everything is free as in (free beer|speech)
    There's a lot to do in testing-documentation, dev. and doc. of testing methods/best-practices, user-oriented documentation, etc. There has always been, there will always be room for contribution and improvement, whatever the development model is (rolling, bumping, jumping, swimming, etc). And we're not even talking seriously about testing in other platforms (mobile, etc). We'll think of something to do next cycle and, obviously, stuff to bother Nick with.

Regards,
    Good to you you back effenberg!

Beans
    Distro

@effenberg

I pretty well butchered the tester wiki and am preparing it for 'Rolling Release' because the Raring links are all but obsoleted now and can't be zsynced (at least from here). When you get time .. lemme know where you would like to go with it and/or any other ideas you have.

Beans
    Distro

Curious to see how "rolling release stable" and "rolling release unstable" will be differentiated in Daily Build.

As I do frequent updates the disk usage as defined by df gets more and more, despite all my efforts to apt-get clean, remove, autoremove, purge, etc. Since the disk usage grows that means to me more and more code that's not being used especially on amd64 so I do a re-install and may get over 10% disk space back. In the days of large disks who cares? I test using multiple stable and unstable partitions, and SSDs of any size are expensive.

Also curious to see how U+1 forum is handled, it's been very useful to me for years. The general "ubuntuforums" is not nearly so useful since the new stuff is very diluted, scattered, and I'm not expert enough in tips and hints specific searching.

Beans
    Distro

BTW, as Canonical concentrates on smartphones and tablets (smartwatches?), pc's and pc releases are becoming less of interest perhaps occasional rolling release reflects their disinterest....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Also curious to see how U+1 forum is handled, it's been very useful to me for years. The general "ubuntuforums" is not nearly so useful since the new stuff is very diluted, scattered, and I'm not expert enough in tips and hints specific searching.
    Me too. I think this subforum has created sort of a community and its own culture and changing its purpose / communication might be a decision we will regret later if things, once again, change.
    We know decisions in FOSS and Ubuntu are sometimes made and later unmade, with or without regret, which is comprehensible: People make them with the information they have in hands and no one can really predict the future with 100% accuracy.

I'd hate to see this community disappear or lose relevance. And I'm not convinced we'll stick to one development model or another.
    We can all agree that we're testers: We'll continue testing/reporting, talking about features and bugs, with the goal of helping development and improvement. Also, some features can't simply be developed and implemented in a rolling model without some very alpha testing to check viability. Adding some very alpha ideas to rolling development will be too dangerous to be pushed to non-technical users updates. What I'm saying is that, to a certain level, testers are always needed, no matter what the development model is.

So maybe we should keep keep the subforum as "U+1" and operate as usual.

However, if for any reason we are required to change the name of the subforum, I'd advocate for "Ubuntu Testers". This name would finally acknowledge who we are and what we have been doing here for some years now... It would also present us and our activities properly to the larger Ubuntu Community. As a bonus, it would make our activities (as well as the risks involved in it) clearer to newbies.

I am confident any changes to our subforum name and activities won't be taken by forum admins without a proper discussion. And a proper discussion regarding this subforum is only acceptable if it involves its users - we should be able to express our opinions if any change is to be made. Also, we have many Ubuntu Members and Forum Admins and Moderators using this subforum. These people definitely understand what we do here and I believe they are likely to make thoroughly considered decisions.

(This is IMHO anyway).

Regards,
    Effenberg

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast