Thread: What is the thinking behind locking people out of their personal details page?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What is the thinking behind locking people out of their personal details page?

I've just done what is, for me, some major surgery on my Ubuntu set up. I've created and used a grub repair disc and then upgraded to Precise Pangolin.

So why is it that when I go in edit my personal details I find a message saying that I don't have permission to edit my own details page?

At least this complaint will contribute to the magic number of minimum posts needed to liberate my personal information. Only another 40-odd to go....
    Last edited by lisati; April 30th, 2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Normalise font

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: What is the thinking behind locking people out of their personal details page?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What is the thinking behind locking people out of their personal details page?

Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.
    An explanation can be found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1836816
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended

Beans
    Distro

Ok, so there is a good, practical, sensible reason why this rule was imposed overnight, as it were.

And us occasionals clogging up the slow lane are just going to have to live with it. In my case, it should only take another three years before I click round the 50th contribution on the old postometer.

But, wouldn't it just be as sensible - and reduce the workload all round (which is the aim of the restriction after all) - to include this link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1836816 on the message page informing hopeless underachievers like me why it's been done?

Or is that taking the helpful information thing just too far?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I updated your version information. If I got it wrong, PM me with the right info, and I'll fix it...
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro

Thank you, Iowan, that's very kind of you.

I'm grateful, but you needn't have troubled yourself. I'dve have gained a quite delicious delight in seeing my distro details getting more and more out of date with every release knowing that, tortoise like, I may never have got to 50 postings.

But I hope you can agree on the more serious side of the point I was trying to make. That is that by omitting an explainer link on the vBulletin message page that pops up when someone like me clicks their "edit your details" page once in a blue moon, the forum is almost inviting a post on the reasoning behind it.

This in itself generates work for people like yourself, work that is not necessary and can be headed off by simply amending a template.

Maybe this is not so much work that forum administrators like yourself are that bothered by it. You would be the best judge of that. But the idea is out there...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When we first brought the policy in, there was a banner posted about the change, but no one paid attention to it, and still created threads complaining that they couldn't change their details.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

i made a practically identical post about 6 months ago....

you'll get their logic eventually.

i recently had a forum i administrated spammed.

it took me an hour to remove all of the posts and ban the users.
    Last edited by Thehumorouscheese; May 1st, 2012 at 07:58 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by goreyduke View Post
    but i hope you can agree on the more serious side of the point i was trying to make. That is that by omitting an explainer link on the vbulletin message page that pops up when someone like me clicks their "edit your details" page once in a blue moon, the forum is almost inviting a post on the reasoning behind it.

+1.