Thread: Ubuntu Kubuntu 12.04 much slower than 11.10

Hybrid View

Beans

Ubuntu Kubuntu 12.04 much slower than 11.10

Good day everyone,

I have been using Ubuntu for a fairly long time, but I am no expert. Typically at upgrade time, I download the ISO and burn a CD and do a clean install. This time I did upgrades to the existing systems.

I am running Ubuntu as a dual boot with Windows XP on the laptop hard-drive, and Kubuntu on a partition of a 1 TB USB external drive. I have been doing this for about 7 years, and install every upgrade, so I don't think this is a hardware problem, unless 12.04 is using hardware allot differently.

The issue is that both systems are running extremely slowly as compared to 11.10. The test I used was to do an update/upgrade after login, as usual, and then I ran Shisen Sho to see how things are reacting. Every time I selected a tile, there was a 2-3 second delay before it showed as selected. When two tiles were selected for removal, there is an additional 2-3 second delay as the action is completed. This is MUCH different than in all previous versions. This state exists in both Ubuntu 12.04 and Kubuntu 12.04, It did not exist for either system in 11.10 or before.

Is there something about Precise that might be causing this? Is there something about upgrading rather than a clean install that might have impact? Is there something else? Do you need more information?

All suggestions will be tried as I get time. Thanks for your assistance.

Raccoon Strait

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Kubuntu 12.04 much slower than 11.10

I am having the same experience with Shisen-Sho (very very slow) and have noticed that although this means a game takes much longer in real time, the game's play-time is not extended. The game clock stands still while the game is paused (twice) once before showing the tiles selected and again before moving the tiles.

Other activities seem to be ok, like web-browsing or playing a movie.

I also have upgraded on 2 pc's - each with stand-alone Kubuntu.
    Last edited by rich1842; June 19th, 2012 at 09:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

There have been some problems with the nvidia driver. Not sure if that is the issue. Just a suggestion. If you are using nvidia I would look to either upgrade the driver or mive to the open source alternative (noveau). To upgrade you could try the nvidia ppa.

https://launchpad.net/~nvidia-vdpau/+archive/ppa

Beans

I saw that there had been issues with nvidia. Thank you for that, but I think I will just play some other game meantime since everything else appears to be ok (so far).

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu Kubuntu 12.04 much slower than 11.10

in Shisen sho I noticed the same problem and it was really annoying ; I saw in another post that turn the sound option off sorted the problem.
    I tried and it worked for me.... now it plays at normal speed; I hope it works for you.

Beans

heptanes: Thanks very much for your response - I saw somewhere about sound but could not find where to turn it off: after reading your answer I found it right away and am playing happily...