Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Is a middleware required?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    244

    Is a middleware required?

    I am planning to deploy an Apache web server on Ubuntu server 10.04 . It will mostly serve big audio and video files . Do I need to use any middleware or application server like like Tomcat? Since there are no java components, Tomcat may not help.

    There will be at most 50 simultaneous connections to the web server. How to size for hardware like cpu and memory for this load?
    Last edited by deepakdeshp; April 30th, 2012 at 03:55 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    hole
    Beans
    417
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Is a middleware required?

    what audio and video files will you serve?
    50 connections is not that much.
    you will need fast HD or raid array to serve those files fast.
    most of basic server hardware should be what you need (dual\quad core) depends exactly on the files size but 4gb should do the job.
    by the way what is the clients\server bandwidth?(you will need to fit you HD\raid speed to the clients bandwidth).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    244

    Re: Is a middleware required?

    Quote Originally Posted by elico View Post
    what audio and video files will you serve?
    50 connections is not that much.
    you will need fast HD or raid array to serve those files fast.
    most of basic server hardware should be what you need (dual\quad core) depends exactly on the files size but 4gb should do the job.
    by the way what is the clients\server bandwidth?(you will need to fit you HD\raid speed to the clients bandwidth).
    Do you mean that the HD / RAID speed should be equal to or more than the clients bandwidth? But this bandwidth will vary depending on how many clients are connected. The clients will connect to the server over a single wireless router and there will not be any other networking equipment like switches etc.

    The files will be of different types like mpeg , .wav etc and the average size of the files around 700 MB.

    software RAID using ordinary SATA disks will be a cheaper solution. Hardware RAID would be costly. Any comments on this?
    Last edited by deepakdeshp; May 1st, 2012 at 07:22 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Beans
    417
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Is a middleware required?

    Hi

    If I read correct you will serve your files over Wifi? Then your bottleneck is your WLAN - a quad core with at least 8GB RAM should handle this easy depends on your HD setup (software raid with 4 disks with LVM should handle this fine).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Metro Boston
    Beans
    11,885
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Is a middleware required?

    Fifty streaming clients over wireless sounds like a recipe for laggy video to me. What resolution(s) are the files? You might need to go as low as 240p. What codecs are you using for encoding? H.264/AAC in the Flash container? XviD/MP3 in the AVI container?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    244

    Re: Is a middleware required?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Fifty streaming clients over wireless sounds like a recipe for laggy video to me. What resolution(s) are the files? You might need to go as low as 240p. What codecs are you using for encoding? H.264/AAC in the Flash container? XviD/MP3 in the AVI container?
    I am not aware of the video and audio formats and what would make it more efficient. The content will be pulled by Android tablets. So it looks like I need some software/ browser add ons on the client side. Please suggest.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Metro Boston
    Beans
    11,885
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Is a middleware required?

    Do you already have the files? Try playing one from the command line with mplayer and see what it reports.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    244

    Re: Is a middleware required?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Do you already have the files? Try playing one from the command line with mplayer and see what it reports.
    The client will be Android and hence it may not have mplayer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Metro Boston
    Beans
    11,885
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Is a middleware required?

    No, I meant if you want to find out how the files are encoded, you can play one with mplayer on Ubuntu and see what it reports like this:

    Code:
    $ mplayer /path/to/somefile.mkv
    
    Playing somefile.mkv.
    libavformat version 53.21.0 (external)
    libavformat file format detected.
    [matroska,webm @ 0xb6bc9d80]max_analyze_duration reached
    [matroska,webm @ 0xb6bc9d80]Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
    [lavf] stream 0: video (h264), -vid 0
    [lavf] stream 1: audio (aac), -aid 0
    VIDEO:  [H264]  1280x720  0bpp  23.976 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
    This one has H.264 video at 720p resolution and AAC audio.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    244

    Re: Is a middleware required?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    No, I meant if you want to find out how the files are encoded, you can play one with mplayer on Ubuntu and see what it reports like this:

    Code:
    This one has H.264 video at 720p resolution and AAC audio
    .
    That is is excellent information. I never know that mplayer was so powerful and provided such a wealth of information.

    But once we have information like a file has has H.264 video at 720p resolution and AAC audio, what steps do I take next to ensure efficient delivery of the audito/video to the Android clients?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •