Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB stick encryption that works on every computer?

Beans

USB stick encryption that works on every computer?

I have a Datatraveler USB memory stick with sensitive information. I often carry it with myself, and I use it on both my own computer (with Ubuntu 12.04) and public computers with various versions of Windows. I need to encrypt the data, but it appears that the encryption program always needs to be installed on the machine in order for me to be able to access the data.

Is there a way to encrypt data on Ubuntu 12.04, so that I can use my USB memory on public Windows computers that do not have the relevant encryption program installed?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: USB stick encryption that works on every computer?

Are far as I know you will still need to install the encryption program in order to access the drive.

A better idea would be get another usb stick with nothing on it if you are going to be using it on a public machine.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by paranat View Post
    I have a Datatraveler USB memory stick with sensitive information. I often carry it with myself, and I use it on both my own computer (with Ubuntu 12.04) and public computers with various versions of Windows. I need to encrypt the data, but it appears that the encryption program always needs to be installed on the machine in order for me to be able to access the data.

Is there a way to encrypt data on Ubuntu 12.04, so that I can use my USB memory on public Windows computers that do not have the relevant encryption program installed?
    Wont it be wiser to encrypt only sensitive files , instead of the whole usb partition .You can use GPG or anything to encrypt your files .

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...-password.html
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Check out MySecret, I've used it extensively with WindwsXP but don't know if it works with Vista or 7.

The Linux version works well with Ubuntu 32-bit, but if you want to use 64-but you may have to install ia32-libs.
    Last edited by donsy; April 30th, 2012 at 04:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The best way is to use TrueCrypt...get it from their site. This puts an encrypted container on the USB that you move all info into. Because it's cross-platform, it will work on any computer with TrueCrypt installed or it's also portable and can be just on the stick.
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans

I use encrypted Zip files.

Everyody has zip utilities.

Beans
    Hidden!

use truely hardware encrypted usb stick.

Yo can use the something I have:
    http://www.corsair.com/usb-drive/fla...usb-drive.html
    which enables you to enter the password on the miniature keyboard
    (my personal solution for number of yoears now)

or you spend some more moeney and use :
    https://store.ironkey.com/

which has the ability to enter the password on windows, linnux, mac even without the need of special communication software on the host computer

The use of any software solution is either possible only on dedicated hardware (controller of the stick) or need additional software to be able to use it properly and this software needs to be installed on the host and will therefore need admin rights to do so.

Truecrypt without the installed driver software on the host is not much comfortable then any zip with encryption. The zip software can be placed however on the stick itself, the key is then just the passphrase.

The is no universal software solution and probably will never be as one has allways to find a way to enter the password to the usb stick somehow.
    Last edited by ottosykora; May 2nd, 2012 at 07:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by donsy View Post
    Check out MySecret, I've used it extensively with WindwsXP but don't know if it works with Vista or 7.

The Linux version works well with Ubuntu 32-bit, but if you want to use 64-but you may have to install ia32-libs.
    Bad idea. For one, it is not open-source nor GPL. For two, it uses Blowfish when it could be using AES (this implies the software hasn't been updated in a while). And three, it does nothing GnuPG cannot do and GnuPG is already included in Ubuntu.

ottosykora said:

use truely hardware encrypted usb stick.

Yo can use the something I have:
    http://www.corsair.com/usb-drive/fla...usb-drive.html
    which enables you to enter the password on the miniature keyboard
    (my personal solution for number of yoears now)
    Also a bad idea. These hardware solutions cannot be trusted. They have a track record of being rather poor. So poor in fact that someone should have lost their job.
    Occam's Razor for computers: Viruses must never be postulated without necessity -- nevius

My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rookcifer View Post

ottosykora said:

Also a bad idea. These hardware solutions cannot be trusted. They have a track record of being rather poor. So poor in fact that someone should have lost their job.
    well this what is described here has not much to do with the real hardware encryption I mentioned.
    There is lot of devices around which employ the encryption done by the firmware of the controller, but the whole key process is done externally.
    I do not consider this as hardware encryption.
    This was the problem with U3 devices for example. Encryption seemed OK first, but it came out that attacks were too simple on the communication between the stick and the keyboard of the computer and so finaly it became too simple to get onto the so called encrypted contents.

So simple devices will use some form of local entry, like my padlock2 or have such complex communication set up that so far no attacks are known at the current level of knowledge and technology.
    But when comparing 10$ to 300$, well there must not be, but might be some difference.

BTW: also padlock2 has some flaw. OK it was cleared by now, but was discovered some 6 months after launching the product. Meanwhile one has to initiate the password twice and then all is fine again.

There are similar devices with integrated finger sensor too.

There used to be some nice 3DES hardware encrypted external hard drives on the market. Yes it was 3DES, but unfortunately every time the same start vector. Finding this out is probably not so big effort.

So yes I agree, not everything called hardware encryption is worth it.

But as there is no and will be no universal software solution, some hardware solution might be only alternative.

Beans
    Distro

Hey,

Use TrueCrypt portable, put it alongside encrypted containers on your USB stick. No need to install, just run it.

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=truecrypt-portable

-Beboy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast