Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Give a User FULL Permissions - Via SSH

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    11

    Exclamation Give a User FULL Permissions - Via SSH

    I need too give user "user1" permission to read/Write in any directory, in any file.

    I have sudo perms.
    Please don't make this complicated, i am a novice.
    One line commands preferred.

    I do not want every group to have these permissions
    Just the user "user1"

    Thanks
    Last edited by philinux; April 30th, 2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Title

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Beans
    1,461
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Give a User FULL Permissions

    mrchasez: This document may help explain things...

    Editing Files that Belong to Root

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Beans
    749
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Give a User FULL Permissions

    Welome aboard!

    Click the purple icon in the upper right corner.
    Click System Settings.
    Double click User Accounts.
    Click Unlock and enter your password.
    Select the user1 account.
    Change Standard to Administrator.
    Last edited by JRV; April 30th, 2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    11

    Re: Give a User FULL Permissions

    Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Welome aboard!

    Click the purple icon in the upper right corner.
    Click System Settings.
    Double click User Accounts.
    Click Unlock and enter your password.
    Select the user1 account.
    Change Standard to Administrator.
    I only have SSH.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    11

    Re: Give a User FULL Permissions

    Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    mrchasez: This document may help explain things...

    Editing Files that Belong to Root
    Can you just give me the answer?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    17,056
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Give a User FULL Permissions

    Quote Originally Posted by mrchasez View Post
    I only have SSH.
    I've amended the title of the thread to reflect the use of SSH.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    LOCATION=/dev/random
    Beans
    5,767
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Give a User FULL Permissions - Via SSH

    Code:
    sudo adduser user1 sudo
    Will add user1 to the sudo group, they will then be able to use sudo to make any changes they wish.
    Cheesemill

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Beans
    1,461
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Give a User FULL Permissions

    Quote Originally Posted by mrchasez View Post
    Can you just give me the answer?
    If you are "user1" and you have "sudo perms" then you already have full permissions to "read/Write in any directory, in any file".

    Please read the link I posted earlier explaining how to use sudo.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    11

    Re: Give a User FULL Permissions

    Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    If you are "user1" and you have "sudo perms" then you already have full permissions to "read/Write in any directory, in any file".

    Please read the link I posted earlier explaining how to use sudo.
    I can use Sudo just fine.
    I try to open a file in /home/minecraft/multicraft
    I get this error

    Received error message from remote side: 'scp: /home/minecraft/multicraft/multicraft.conf: Permission denied'

    However, I can use sudo.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    11

    Re: Give a User FULL Permissions - Via SSH

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Code:
    sudo adduser user1 sudo
    Will add user1 to the sudo group, they will then be able to use sudo to make any changes they wish.
    user1@(stuff):~$ groups
    user1 adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare

    No admin group

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •