Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General questions about ssh

hakermania is offline Τώρα ξέρεις τι γράφω εδώ!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: General questions about ssh

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Is the machine running sshd directly connected to the Internet, or is it behind a router? If the latter, did you use the router's port forwarding tools to forward external port 22 back to the server? If so, and it still doesn't work, your ISP may be blocking connections on port 22. Try setting the external port to some arbitrary port like 22222 and forwarding that back to the server. Make sure you open the arbitrary port using the router's firewalling tools. Then use "ssh -p 22222 yourname.dyndns.org" to connect.

To check that name resolution is working correctly, try "ping yourname.dyndns.org".
    Thanks for the answer!
    I am using port 8675 for ssh, because I am aware that my ISP can block port 22. But yes, I am behind a router and I haven't forwarded any port!
    @Peter09 I did that and it stays at "Connecing to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" and then, after a couple of minutes it says that the connection has timed out!

Beans
    Distro

Are both ends of the connection using port 8675? You need to tell the client application and the server application which port to use.

If you are going through a router (at the server end) then you will need to forward (in the servers local router) port 8675 to the ip address of the server. Otherwise when there is an incoming request from the internet your (servers) router will not know where to send it. The client end does not matter.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

hakermania is offline Τώρα ξέρεις τι γράφω εδώ!
    Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Peter09 View Post
    Are both ends of the connection using port 8675? You need to tell the client application and the server application which port to use.

If you are going through a router (at the server end) then you will need to forward (in the servers local router) port 8675 to the ip address of the server. Otherwise when there is an incoming request from the internet your (servers) router will not know where to send it. The client end does not matter.
    Got it, so I need to redirect the input at port 8675 to my local IP, good thing it's static (192.168.1.254).

I will do it soon, and I will let you know how it went!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12