Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: 12.04 changing keyboard layout

Quote Originally Posted by Zvlwab View Post
    Code:
    XKBMODEL="pc105"
    XKBLAYOUT="no,ru"
    XKBVARIANT="altgr-intl"
    XKBOPTIONS="grp:alt_shift_toggle"
    Thanks, this works partly. After I have changed the file, it worked like it should. Then I logged out and back in again, and once more I have only the English keyboard layout. However the file didn't change back, it's still the way I left it.

Beans

Still noone can confirm this is a reported bug?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Changes made to this file are systemwide, not user specific. I think you need to reboot in order to apply these changes or find out which process handles keyboard input and reset that process. (Rebooting is probably easier.)

Beans

I'm seeing the same thing. Hopefully I'll have time to file a bug soon. As a workaround, use setxbmap after logging in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for the setxkbmap workaround. It seems related to this bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/995401

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I had the same issue, and finally got it working today by installing another layout, then removing and re-selecting the norwegian from the keyboard layouts in the system settings. It seems that the layout I chose during install didn't really get installed. Still have some problems switching between languages, but at least it's not stuck in english anymore. Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yep..same problem here..

I need to switch between Norwegian,Spanish and English and it is now permanently on Norwegian since my update to 12.04.

The other 2 are available languages are available in the dropdown menu but dont work.

This worked great in previous versions of ubuntu so hopefully someone can fix this soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've had a similar problem with my desktop having a US keyboard no matter what I set it to. In frustration I edited /etc/default/keyboard to change the second line from XKBLAYOUT="gb" to read XKBLAYOUT="uk" and rebooted.

I now have an English UK keyboard! Hope it lasts.
    Desktop - P4 3.2GHz 800 FSB, Asus P5L-VM1394, 1G DDR2, 1T SATA HDD + 500G SATA HDD
    Laptop - Acer Aspire 7730 Intel Centrino2
    Samsung Galaxy Ace Android

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by beansdad View Post
    I've had a similar problem with my desktop having a US keyboard no matter what I set it to. In frustration I edited /etc/default/keyboard to change the second line from XKBLAYOUT="gb" to read XKBLAYOUT="uk" and rebooted.

I now have an English UK keyboard! Hope it lasts.
    Here is how my file appears:

Code:
    XKBMODEL="pc105"
    XKBLAYOUT="us"
    XKBVARIANT=""
    XKBOPTIONS=""
    However, my machine keeps switching my keyboard to Irish and then I have to switch it back to United States. I wonder how I can entirely delete the Irish profile? I never told it to install Irish, it came along as a special gift when I installed 12.04
    If variety is the spice of life, monotony must therefore be the kiss of death.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by pbpersson View Post

However, my machine keeps switching my keyboard to Irish and then I have to switch it back to United States. I wonder how I can entirely delete the Irish profile? I never told it to install Irish, it came along as a special gift when I installed 12.04
    Okay, I went into the keyboard control panel and deleted the Irish profile. I wonder how that got in there?
    If variety is the spice of life, monotony must therefore be the kiss of death.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast