Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.04 NO SOUND in my regular user session but it's ok in guest user gnome sesion.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: 12.04 NO SOUND in my regular user session but it's ok in guest user gnome sesion

if it works on guest
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.pulse
    logout and back in
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Re: 12.04 NO SOUND in my regular user session but it's ok in guest user gnome sesion

Quote Originally Posted by jcoles View Post
    Really. This is ridiculous. The setup program is supposed to take care of these details.

hwinfo says my audio is "Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller" That's not even listed in that text file. So, what do I do?

In all previous releases, the sound simply worked. Users shouldn't have to hack their system to get basic functions.

I did a clean install because upgrade wouldn't work.

Upgrade postponed. No way is 12.04 ready for release!
    Well, I really didn't expect we need to handle so much audio stack details to fix our sound and I'm totally layman. Well from what I learned and practiced, I think if in the similar situation of mine, we just need to find a matched vendor model option for our audio codec chip.

You can get your ACC type from
    Code:
    aplay -l
    and go to the corresponding section of
    http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentat...dio-Models.txt

and try each model option and restart. Hope you have that luck.

Just FYR

"
    What `model` option values are available depends on the codec chip. Check your codec chip from the codec proc file (see "Codec Proc-File" section below). It will show the vendor/product name of your codec chip. Then, see Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt file, the section of HD-audio driver. You can find a list of codecs and `model` options belonging to each codec. For example, for Realtek ALC262 codec chip, pass `model=ultra` for devices that are compatible with Samsung Q1 Ultra. Thus, the first thing you can do for any brand-new, unsupported and non-working HD-audio hardware is to check HD-audio codec and several different `model` option values. If you have any luck, some of them might suit with your device well."from http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentat...a/HD-Audio.txt

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    if it works on guest
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.pulse
    logout and back in
    Thanks! This fixed it for me. Problem occurred after I installed and played around with gnome-shell, gnome-panel, xubuntu-desktop and xfce4, and then uninstalled them all after deciding Unity suited me best.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    if it works on guest
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.pulse
    logout and back in
    Thank you, it worked for me too.

Beans

Sweet! I've just received my free Riot Points!

>> FreeRiotPoints.me <<

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12