Thread: btrfs fsck error - how to fix it ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question btrfs fsck error - how to fix it ?

Hi,

I am trying to revover btrfs filesystem after upgrade to ubuntu precise.
    I have tried:

$ sudo fsck -r -V -t btrfs /dev/sdb8
    fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
    [/sbin/fsck.btrfs (1) -- /dev/sdb8] fsck.btrfs -r /dev/sdb8
    root 5 inode 251945 errors 400
    root 5 inode 251954 errors 400
    found 11405721600 bytes used err is 1
    total csum bytes: 10576496
    total tree bytes: 557309952
    total fs tree bytes: 517558272
    btree space waste bytes: 149250982
    file data blocks allocated: 25370923008
    referenced 10748383232
    Btrfs Btrfs v0.19

$ sudo btrfsck /dev/sdb8
    root 5 inode 251945 errors 400
    root 5 inode 251954 errors 400
    found 11405721600 bytes used err is 1
    total csum bytes: 10576496
    total tree bytes: 557309952
    total fs tree bytes: 517558272
    btree space waste bytes: 149250982
    file data blocks allocated: 25370923008
    referenced 10748383232
    Btrfs Btrfs v0.19

but nothing worked at all.

is there any other way how to fix it ?
    I do not mind if some data are going to be lost. some guidance if exists I would much appreciate.

thank you,
    kind regards,
    M.

Beans

Re: btrfs fsck error - how to fix it ?

As I understand it, there is no fsck for BTRFS yet. The existing one will tell you there are errors but won't fix them (or even attempt to). So all it can really tell you is that you need to reformat and restore from backup.

Their argument for not releasing a working fsck is that attempting to fix the filesystem might make it worse, which doesn't make sense to me. What, they might kill it dead again?

Actually, I am wondering if Oracle are planning to never release a free working fsck at all, but charge a license fee for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,

Your suggestion is exactly what I am trying to avoid.
    I made backups (tar , rsync) right before I did dist-upgrade from oneiric to precise but after upgrade I did not get into system because of filesystem errors.
    Upgrade took me more than six hours to be done within correcting dependency hell and other distro upgrade failures which always happened within dist-upgrade.
    So , you suggesting me to pray when I do dist-upgrade on btrfs again when I recover system from my backup ?
    (I have to say - this is something where NTFS is absolute winner. I succeeded in 90 percent hundreds of cases within last 15 years to recover this file system to functional state (even for prize that in many many cases I have lost some files but I did revover only those couple of damaged files) from on xp -> vista to win7 OS 32 or 64 bits platforms)
    Does have linux any filesystem with such excelent ability to survive - recover from crashes - damaged files/metadata - I would preferable use it ?
    I have been trying to use btrfs for one year (from April) and it is still big troublemaker and seems to me will be still for long time ahead. It seems that it is quite waste of time to pay small attention to btrfs filesystem at all.

Beans

Just to let yo know there is a more recent version of btrfsck in the git repository and that version can do some filesystem fixes. Moreover there are few additional commands such as btrfs_zero_log which can recover from some errors. There is also an issue with dpkg working on btrfs due to some filesystem calls that are in fact duplication of btrfs internal features so I use eatmydata to avoid that and all the upgrades work really fast - just type "eatmydata aptitude" or similar and do the upgrade.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I think ext4 is overall the better, only in certain cases were other systems better.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - Benchmarking All The Linux File-Systems
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._1204_fs&num=1
    Large HDD/SSD Linux 2.6.38 File-System Comparison: EXT3, EXT4, Btrfs, XFS, JFS, ReiserFS, NILFS2
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...38_large&num=1
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Does have linux any filesystem with such excelent ability to survive
    I have been using jfs for years now, and have been very happy with it. I have seen seven instances of ext4 losing huge quantities of data in the 9 months I tried that, so I switched back to jfs again. On rare occasions it needs an fsck after a crash that's unhappy (from a live CD if it's the root partition), but I don't recall ever losing data.

P.S.
    I am trying out btrfs this time round, with frequent backups just in case. I like the snapshot capability, and the ability to pool disk space between subvolumes.
    Last edited by The Cog; April 30th, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you to all for hints.

I have read all benchmarking tests and for main system I am going to stay with ext4 - even for my today created software RAID 0 on revodrive 3 SSD PCI-E hard disk. (still to do make it to boot from raid)

I have also created another 2 software RAIDs 0 - from 3 partitions each on SATA II hard disks for ext4, btrfs , and will create another one for jfs filesystem according to your suggestion (and rsync whole system to it - to see how reliable it is).

The probably last try before I delete btrfs system - going to take from git repository and try btrfsck and btrfs_zero_log to recover it. Interesting you used eatmydata (funny name) for upgrade where I would expected is important sync and ... ?

regards,
    M.