Quote Originally Posted by opsharma View Post
i am running GTS 450 and have installed ubuntu through windows 7 using wubi. Getting the same error still. Can you please help.
G'day. I have just fixed this problem after spending most of the day trying to figure out what was wrong.

Step 1: When the computer is stuck at that low graphics mode screen, press CTRL + ALT + F1 to start the termnal. Login using your username/password. First thing to do is type in :
lspci
At the bottom of the screen, it will show you the graphics cards. How many are there ? I had two (One for onboard and one for discrete)

See if you can type in : NVIDIA smi. If the drivers are installed correctly, you will be able to do this. Again, this will show you how many graphics cards your system is seeing.

Step 2: Since you are already in Terminal, please type in:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
This will update your drivers.

Step 3: If your system has an onboard VGA and a discrete one, go into your computers BIOS and disable the onboard one.

Step 4: Reboot.

In may case, what was happening was that the computer used to get confused on which graphics to use. Even though my motherboard automatically switches off the onboard graphics when a discrete one is installed, Ubuntu was still seeing it and causing issues. A combination of Steps 1-3 above fixed it.

Good luck and hope this helps to solve your problem.

Keep well.