Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot change keyboard shortcuts in Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Cannot change keyboard shortcuts in Ubuntu 12.04

Hello fellow Ubuntu users,

Ubuntu 12.04 64bit fresh installed on my laptop. Everything is working fine, no fatal errors and so forth.
    The shortcut problems I have is that I just can't set them like I used to be able to in Lucid. My usual shortcuts are

Terminal --- Super (Windows Logo key) + T
    Search --- Super + S
    Calculate --- Super + C
    Home Folder --- Super + E
    Run Command Prompt --- Super + R
    Lock Screen --- Super + L

I am able to change the keyboard shortcuts to my will (All Settings -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts) but they don't work at all. For example, when I called Terminal (Super + T), the bloody recycle bin comes up. Other keys don't work out right. It's really annoying.

Another problem I have is not being able to restore them to default. I realised the preferred keyboard shortcuts cannot be set. So, I thought I'll just restore them but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. Right now, I've disabled them.

What's happened with shortcuts??? Why can't I set them like I used to anymore? Could any of you tell me if there is any workaround? Suggestions and discussions are welcome.

Thank you very much. Best regards.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Beans

Re: Cannot change keyboard shortcuts in Ubuntu 12.04

Me too, I upgrade my system, I think it was yesterday. I would also like to know if there is a user manual for it.

Beans

I have a similar problem...i can change shortcuts but after restart none of them are keept

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Me too, I upgrade my system, I think it was yesterday. I would also like to know if there is a user manual for it.
    Now that you've mentioned, I've just remembered the "Ubuntu Desktop Guide". If you go to Dash and type "Help", it'll come up with a question mark icon. It looks like a good and simple guide. Two topics in there; "Useful keyboard shortcuts" and "Set keyboard shortcuts" explain briefly but no info about errors and troubleshooting. I did learn that some default keyboard shortcuts in Ubuntu 12.04 use Super key such as

Super + S --------- Activate the workspace switcher. Zoom out on all workspaces
    Super + W--------- Activate "Expo" mode. Show all windows from current workspace.

It's beyond me why they didn't make standard Super key shortcuts (same as Windows) since they're using it as default.

Quote Originally Posted by never2far View Post
    I have a similar problem...i can change shortcuts but after restart none of them are keept
    Are your keyboard shortcuts similar to mine? Any of my shortcuts I've listed above doesn't work at all. Let me know. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I'm also trying to get help myself.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Beans

Same here... I looked quickly if there was a bug but couldn't find one... For me, I am used to switching between desktops using <super+1>, 2 , 3 and so on... "I'm lazy, the super (windows) key is just closer"

The latter works for the Alt key <Atl+1> ,2 ,3 etc.. but not for the super (windows key)...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry Re: Cannot change keyboard shortcuts in Ubuntu 12.04

Hello all,

I have the same issue (now in 12.04). From Ubuntu 11.10 i have problems to configure my own keyboard shortcuts. I'm tried on ubuntu 11.10 to change some shortcuts from Compiz Settings and others from keyboard configuration and some key combinations work well and others don't. Some times, works for a few days and then dont work again.
    Looks lke the key combinations on Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 are hardcoded and they can't be changed.
    Any help are welcome!!!

Regards!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

One thing I found by accident is that if you hold the super key for a short time all keyboard shortcuts are displayed, and the first 9 items on the Launcher bar (if that's the right term) can be selected by number.

This doesn't snwer the question directly, but at least you can see what's available.

Beans

Hi,

I have the same issue.
    Changing keyboard shortcuts in System Settings->Keyboard->Shortcuts does not have any effect. Very frustrating.
    No work-around found so far, but investigating.

Note: using Gnome-Shell 3.4.1

Beans

When all else fails you can use gconf-editor or dconf-editor to edit shortcuts manually.

Beans

For example with dconf-editor under org > gnome > desktop > wm > keybindings. You can easily set the keybinding's.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast