Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to permanently display the global menu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Angry How to permanently display the global menu?

I find it mind-boggling that this question has been asked many times, again and again, for months now... without any resolve.

I like the global menu concept, but I shall be removing it if I can't get it to stay visible. Whoever is in charge of UI/UX at Canonical needs to have a word with themselves. It is slow and cumbersome to have to hover to reveal.

Beans
    Distro

Re: How to permanently display the global menu?

Quote Originally Posted by vjkeito View Post
    I find it mind-boggling that this question has been asked many times, again and again, for months now... without any resolve.

I like the global menu concept, but I shall be removing it if I can't get it to stay visible. Whoever is in charge of UI/UX at Canonical needs to have a word with themselves. It is slow and cumbersome to have to hover to reveal.
    It's a stop-gap measure.

If you know the approximate name of the command you want, you can tap Alt and start typing it in HUD.

The HUD will eventually be expanded so it can act as a normal menu too, but for the moment we just have global menus that hide themselves. Sorry!
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I've got mixed feelings about the HUD. It does not lend itself to learning. It increases the learning curve for an application, this is not something that Ubuntu 'Linux for human beings' is grasping all that well.

I use vim on a daily basis, and it requires the user to already know the buttons to press to establish a desired action. The HUD works on the same basis.

Take Gimp for example. It is easy to browse a hierarchical menu system to find out about new plugins, and see what they are called, what type of plugin they are, etc. This is not the case with a HUD.

If the HUD is set to completely remove the concept of a menu, then Canonical should make users aware of this change. Hell, I've been a user for many years, but I won't be hanging around for that day.

I'm sick of being told that desired options (launcher being moveable for one) are "just around the corner"... when in reality, those options never arrive, and all that happens is Canonical limit the users control over their environment even more.

I've never seen so many "report this error" messages as I have since my update to 12.04.

I sacked off Unity and resorted back to Gnome-Shell when it became clear that the menu visibility is not something Canonical want us to have control over.

Now I'm left wondering if it's time to say cheerio to Ubuntu. The last thing I want is constant crashes and errors... If I wanted that I'd install Windows.
    Last edited by vjkeito; April 29th, 2012 at 08:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    The HUD will eventually be expanded so it can act as a normal menu too, but for the moment we just have global menus that hide themselves. Sorry!
    The HUD is a great addition, but a lousy replacement.

If anyone can show me serious usability tests in which the current menu concealment scores higher than allowing commands to be self-evident, I'll shut up about this.

In the meantime....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rg4w View Post
    The HUD is a great addition, but a lousy replacement.

If anyone can show me serious usability tests in which the current menu concealment scores higher than allowing commands to be self-evident, I'll shut up about this.

In the meantime....
    Whole-heartedly agree. I think it is a neat addition, but a very poor replacement too. Though I doubt Canonical will listen to folks such as us. I dare say I'd be classed as 'old-school' now-a-days. Some youngsters care more about looks and less about usability... Canonical are targeting that crowd now. I feel like my long service to the brand is being thrown back in my face the longer I use Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I agree as well. In applications where HUD is well implemented and I know what I want to do, it is fantastic, but if hierarchical menus were taken away, it would require I have a manual open every time I use the programs I only need occasionally.

Luckily XFCE still behaves in a sensible manner, so there are options.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Alt + F opens the menu right up here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Alt + F opens the menu right up here.
    Sure -- and that is what I do now. I think the previous posters were concened that menus might eventually be replaced by HUD. The HUD is a nice complement to menus, but not a replacement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vjkeito View Post
    Whole-heartedly agree. I think it is a neat addition, but a very poor replacement too. Though I doubt Canonical will listen to folks such as us.
    I don't care much either way if they listen to me; I'm a nobody.

But could they please heed the last 25 years of published HI research?

I have to imagine that at least one person on the design team has a SIGCHI membership with access to their library. I hope that person doesn't feel lonely in that office.

I want to imagine a disciplined team of well educated, experienced usability professionals on the design team, and from the background on the team members it would seem my hopes are well met.

Yet we see detail after detail that flies in the face of so many years of so many dozens of published research studies that I have to wonder what happens in that process.

"...most of our competitors are interesting in doing something different, or want to appear new - I think those are completely the wrong goals. A product has to be genuinely better. This requires real discipline..."
    - Jonathan Ive
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifest...h-7562170.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I feel like my long service to the brand is being thrown back in my face the longer I use Ubuntu.
    Brand? Brand? Since when did Ubuntu become a commercial product? Since when did we become customers?

If you do not like what you downloaded free of charge then you do not have to use it.

If anyone wants anyone wants to express opinions, then they can do that in the Community Cafe. It should not be done in the help sections of the forum.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast