Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Users should be able to decide which services to start?

Beans

Users should be able to decide which services to start?

One particularly bad thing I have noticed through 12.04 testing and now on final release is the time it takes to go from login screen to fully loaded desktop.

At times I have wondered if the desktop is going to load at all or if something has gone wrong.

Well I cam across a post on Webupd8 which shows how to show hidden startup entries in "Startup Applications".

After disabling most of the items (which are not needed or wanted) the desktop now loads instantly.

Fair enough, ubuntu devs don't want users messing up their system but surely some of those things are very specific to certain users and aren't needed by everyone?

Things like screen reader, bluetooth and restricted drivers are useful to many people but certainly not all so why shouldn't users be able to disable these?

I don't use ubuntu one, gwibber or desktop sharing but again, I have to have those running otherwise.
    Last edited by x-shaney-x; April 29th, 2012 at 08:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Users should be able to decide which services to start?

Quote Originally Posted by x-shaney-x View Post
    After disabling most of the items (which are not needed or wanted) the desktop now loads instantly.
    why shouldn't users be able to disable these?
    Sounds like they are. They're probably not settings that should be exposed to anyone, but it sounds like anyone with a bit of Google-fu and a DIY mindset should have no trouble.

The relative ease of accessing stuff "under the hood" is one of the most appealing reasons to use Linux IMO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I do think it's more awkward than it needs to be. I particularly don't understand why all of those need to be system-wide instead of just being handled in Startup Applications. I don't have U1 installed, and I don't see any processes running for Gwibber et al., but I did need to remove nm-applet's autostart, since I use Shell and Shell doesn't use nm-applet. (Or, at least, letting it run from autostart mucks up the network notifications, and not letting it run doesn't.)

I thank y'all for the prompt to check System Monitor, by the way. I forgot I had a Wine app running and nearly broke my brain when I saw explorer.exe in the process list.

Beans

Yea but it took me a while to find that info and things like screen reader are hardly going to damage the system if disabled so not all should be hidden at all.

What would be so wrong with an "Advanced" button?
    Last edited by x-shaney-x; April 29th, 2012 at 09:19 AM.

Beans

What would be so wrong with an "Advanced" button?
    /waits for someone to say you are sounding like Linus

Beans

Hehe. Yea I see your point but this is more about taking back control of your system.

Looking back I think the vast majority of users wouldn't want to bother altering services or wouldn't even think about it.

If it wasn't for the desktop taking so long to load (which it didn't in 11.10) I wouldn't have bothered about it myself.

Maybe something that should be added to one of the "tweaking" applications then?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

To populate startup applications (gnome-session-properties) isn't all that hard, it's just a matter of running two commands:

Code:
    cd /etc/xdg/autostart/
    and then:

Code:
    sudo sed --in-place 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' *.desktop
    the result should look like the screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Yes and that is how I did it but it's not exactly obvious.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

If you're going to tease us with the ability to show hidden services, you should either give us a link or show us how.

If it wasn't for the desktop taking so long to load (which it didn't in 11.10) I wouldn't have bothered about it myself.
    I noticed that it took just as long in 11.10 as it does for me in 12.04. I noticed it before I upgraded.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    If you're going to tease us with the ability to show hidden services, you should either give us a link or show us how
    Post #7 has the info. I agree it's not ideal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast