Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Precise known bugs with workarounds

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Precise known bugs with workarounds

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Anyone have a clue as to why an additional gedit file is opened when you enter gksu gedit filename?
    I have made a workaround for this problem. It's a tad fiddly setting it up, but once done, it works well.

Here's how to set it up.

1. Download the attachment gksudo-gedit-simulation.tar.bz2 and extract the two files as follows.
      • askpass — into any folder you like, somewhere out of your way.
      • ggedit — into any folder within your path; I use ~/bin (which is put onto your path by default if you create that folder and log out and in again).

2. Edit the file .profile in your home folder. Append the following line, substituting my path with wherever you saved the askpass file (this is necessary even if askpass is within your path). You cannot use "~"; you must use the fully-qualified path.
      Code:
      export SUDO_ASKPASS='/home/paddy/bin/askpass'
    3. Either reboot or log out and in again.

To use:

• Instead of gksudo gedit, use ggedit, which you can use from Alt-F2, the terminal or a script. For example, press Alt-F2 and enter:
      ggedit /etc/fstab
    • If you prefer to use a different name, simply rename ggedit to something else and use that new name.

Known problems:

• If, after starting ggedit but before entering your password, you change your mind and press Cancel, it will nevertheless ask you three times for your password with a short pause between each attempt. I don't know how to prevent that from happening.

Beans

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to install leafpad and simply do a:
    Code:
    gksu leafpad
    Internally it may very well have the same issue as a "gksu gedit" but since there are no tabs in leafpad you'll never know.

Just a suggestion.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    The gedit root 'Untitled document' bug has been around for a long time. They aren't too interested in fixing it. I switched to Geany when editing files as root for this reason.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...it/+bug/796076
    Thanks for the info. I too have added my vote to the bug.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Wouldn't it be a lot easier to install leafpad and simply do a:
    Code:
    gksu leafpad
    Internally it may very well have the same issue as a "gksu gedit" but since there are no tabs in leafpad you'll never know.

Just a suggestion.
    +1 on Leafpad! I just tried it and is great! I'm using that from now on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I installed xscreensavers and inserted a startup command of
    Code:
    xscreensaver -nosplash
    It would never work and when I clicked on screensaver, I got this error:
    Code:
    The XScreenSaver daemon doesn't seem to be running on display ":0".  Launch it now?
    So, I would have to click yes and then the screensaver would work.
    I finally noticed that it wasn't actually running so I added another startup command just like the above and that fixed it.

Here is what it took:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...72&postcount=5

I've rebooted a few times, logged out a few times and this finally fixed it.
    This post was not correct. It did not require 2 separate entries in Startup Applications.
    Just had to edit gksu gedit /etc/xdg/autostart/screensaver.desktop file and fix the misspelled word Application (It had Applicaton without the i at the end).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I could never get Emerald window decorator to work in Precise until I stumbled upon this.

I had emerald --replace in startup programs but, that did not work. What did work was making it into a script.
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    sleep 5
    emerald --replace
    I just saved that with gedit in my Home directory, saved it as emerald-script and made it executable.
    I put that command in the startup application as /home/cavsfan/emerald-script and voila it finally worked!

I got that from this site although I did not install it with their method.

http://paulscomputernotes.blogspot.com/2012/04/emerald-themer-in-ubuntu-1204.html

EDIT: While logging on in Gnome Classic mode without Emerald there was no way to get to the top of windows to move them.
    They were stuck where ever they opened up. But, with Emerald I could click near the top and move the window down and wherever I wanted.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; July 5th, 2012 at 08:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

While logging on in Gnome Classic mode without Emerald there was no way to get to the top of windows to move them.
    If that should happen to you again, hold down Alt and click anywhere within the window; that will allow you to drag the entire window.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    If that should happen to you again, hold down Alt and click anywhere within the window; that will allow you to drag the entire window.
    Thanks for the info!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Anyone know anything about logging into 12.04 in Classic Gnome opening anything and the top goes behind the top panel?
    It acts like Unity where there is no top panel. I always have to bring the windows down a 1/4 inch to access the File, Edit, etc.
    I can open Firefox, have to pull it down 1/4 inch, close it and when I open it back up it does the exact same thing.
    Just wondering if there is a work around or is it a bug?
    That is why I had to have Emerald running so I could access the top before I knew Paddy's way of clicking any where on the window while holding ALT and moving the window down.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I didn't run into that when I was messing around with Gnome Classic.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast