Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Can I use FreeNX with Ubuntu?

Reinstalling after messing up the --setup-nomachine-key is extremely tricky. Usually, you need to remove /home/.nx, remove (purge), then reinstall.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Reinstalling after messing up the --setup-nomachine-key is extremely tricky. Usually, you need to remove /home/.nx, remove (purge), then reinstall.
    Youd do this manually or at the command line.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by marko
    I am in the same boat as you. I really don't understand why some people seem to breeze through this install and some (like us struggle mightily..

I finally managed to install freenx (with the right deb source) and setup with nxsetup, not reading carefully enough about the need for the nomachine-key.. Have tried to rename the config.key, have agt-get remove and re-installed.. All to no avail. Still same error as you.

Looking forward to any more tips..

Yuk!
    I just hope someone can post their own steps here so we can try them as well.

Beans

To summarize, I think I have done everything wrong possible and now have a working NX server on Ubuntu! =) This is for a LAN environment though. Review this thread for WAN installs.

To avoid my pitfalls running FreeNX on Hoary, start by adding this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/backports hoary-extras-staging main universe multiverse restricted

Run apt-get install freenx.

Make sure SSH is running for FreeNX to work properly (ps -ef|grep ssh).

To get a working install of nxserver, you will want a nomachine key (RECOMMENDED FOR SIMPLICITY) by running nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key. Please google the command and read the security implications of doing so! (Basically if FreeNX is flawed, there's a possibility of gaining SSH access as the NX user remotely!)

To verify that all is well with nxserver, run the following:

nxserver --status

If nxserver is not running, you may need to check and see if the directory /home/.nx/.ssh was created correctly. If not, you may need to manually create it (mkdir /home/.nx && mkdir /home/.nx/.ssh) and re-run nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key.

Check status again. If nxserver is running, see what users are defined for usage (nxserver --userlist). Likely, this will be empty on your first attempt. If so, run nxserver --adduser, then assign a passwd.

----------------------------

If you, like me, managed somehow to run nxsetup (without --setup-nomachine-key), you may need to clean up after yourself. To do this:

remove /home/.nx (rm -r /home/.nx)
    recreate the directory structure (mkdir /home/.nx && mkdir /home/.nx/.ssh)

Remove freenx (sudo apt-get remove --purge freenx nxclient nxserver nxproxy nxagent) and clean-install it again. And make sure to run nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key this time..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Any Idea, how I connect with the NX client from nomachine.com through a proxy server (our company has one for all outgoing connections), or can someone tell me all the ports the NXclient is using?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

FreeNX operates through port 22, ssh.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Hidden!

A-star,

I had the same issue when trying to access my Ubuntu box from my work (using Windows), where there is a proxy server too. The problem is that the NXClient has no options for proxy connection (at least none that I know of).

I proceeded in the following way:
    1. I set a connection to my home Ubuntu through PuTTy, which has the option for proxy server.

2. I created two port-forwards in the PuTTy session: one for port 22, another one for port 5000 (if this one fails, it will try the subsequent ones, 5001, 5002, etc). The NXClient will use this port for the X (I guess this is what you asked).

3. In the NXClient I disabled "SSL encryption for all traffic", since I was already connecting through secure shell. Then I set it to connect to localhost at the port 22 redirected by PuTTy. Bingo: FreeNX through proxy.

Tell us if you have any problem.
    I sincerely hope someone comes with a better solution than mine.

Cheers,
    incubus
    Last edited by incubus; March 20th, 2005 at 04:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thanks for the info, will try it this evening.
    1. I set a connection to my home Ubuntu through PuTTy, which has the option for proxy server.
    What did you use to accomplish this?

I know how to setup up FreeNX ( at least I hope so). but what I don't know is how to make a connection with putty to my pc at home (which software to use).

Beans
    Hidden!

A-star:

PuTTy is itself a program for Windows to get you a Secure Shell (SSH) terminal. As you may know, FreeNX uses SSH to connect and transfer all data, so it is encrypted, safer, and more reliable -- at least in theory.

You can download PuTTy here:
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html
    Make sure you read the FAQ and Docs on that page.

These are the steps I used to connect through the proxy server. I hope I can make myself clear.

PuTTy
    1. Run PuTTy in your windows box.
    2. Fill in your IP and the port (usually 22). Be sure to check the SSH option.
    3. In the category tree (left panel), click "Proxy", which is under "Connection". Fill in the fields required by your Proxy Server. (usually Proxy Type, Host, Port, and user/pass)
    4. Click the "Tunnel" category. Now you're gonna create two tunnels. I'm assuming you use the default ports.
    4.1. In the "Source Port" field, write "22", and in the "Destination", "localhost:22". Click Add.
    4.2. Do the same for port "5000" and destination "localhost:5000".
    5. You may want to save these settings if you don't want to do everything again for every connection. In the "Session" category, write down a name and click "Save".
    6. Click Open to connect.

NXClient
    1. Run the Windows NXClient and click "Configure".
    2. Now you're gonna connect to the tunnel you've just created. The host is "localhost" and the port is "22". When you connect to this, PuTTy will tunnel the data to your home machine.
    4. In the "Advanced" tab, I un-check "Enable SSL Encryption".
    5. Try to connect now.

Good luck!
    incubus
    Last edited by incubus; March 21st, 2005 at 10:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I tried it exactly like you said but now I get this error message:
    Code:
    NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 3832
    NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
    NX> 200 Connected to address: 127.0.0.1 on port: 22
    ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
    I can ssh to my server (with plain password not with the public/private key).
    And my ssh server is answering on port 8022 (all ports under 1024 are blocked by my provider).

Kind regards
    A-star

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast