Thread: Magick Rotation for Fujitsu tablet PC's.

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Magick Rotation for Fujitsu tablet PC's.

Fujitsu tablet PC support has been added to Magick Rotation!

Robert Gerlach's new fujitsu-tablet.ko has been accepted into the 3.3 kernel. Amongst other things it provides notification of whether the screen is physically in laptop or tablet mode/orientation. And yes, this is the Robert Gerlach of the fjbtndrv PPA.

Magick Rotation is an application that will automatically change screen orientation and input tool (stylus, touch) orientation when you physically rotate the screen. With Robert's assistance Fujitsu tablet PC's have been added to Magick. A Fujitsu tablet PC owner, dog-soldier, reports that it works for him: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966821

A DKMS (dynamic kernel module support) implementation of the fujitsu-tablet.ko is in the MagickExtras folder along with instructions so the driver can be used with the older kernels in Ubuntu releases including Precise. The included version of fujitsu-tablet.c (4-4-12) also has Robert's new patch that fixes tablet state reporting for some models (should be in the 3.4 kernel) and another patch from Robert that allows it to build down to the 2.6.32 kernel (Lucid's).

Magick Rotation is here: https://launchpad.net/magick-rotation
    Revision 33 on Magick's unstable branch is the testing version with the fujitsu-tablet dkms implementation. Its tarball is here: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~magick-...ble/tarball/33 To install, after you right click on the tarball and extract it, drill down to the unstable folder and run MAGICK-INSTALL by double-clicking on it. It should be executable. Then install the dkms of fujitsu-table.ko. As mentioned the dkms package and instructions are in the MagickExtras folder.

To simplify things for yourself you may want to right click on the unstable folder and chose Copy and then Paste it on your Desktop. Then right click on the copied unstable folder on the Desktop and rename it 'magick-rotation' (without the quotes). That will get you to where you'd be with the Magick Rotation 1.6 release tarball (coming soon). You can remove Magick with MAGICK-UNINSTALL in the MagickUninstall folder.

Please feel free to post your results if you do use Magick Rotation for your Fujitsu tablet PC.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Magick Rotation for Fujitsu tablet PC's.

you will also need to install the dkms frame work from the software center in order to install
    Fujitsu Lifebook t4210 running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin)
    Ubuntu User number # 17869
    Linux User number # 444517
    in a world of open source who needs windows and gates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello,

I made a clean install Ubuntu 12,04 (french ve) on my Fujitsu T4215, with magick rotation : woks perfectly !

I just hesitate to remove dkms install and folder (as explained at the end of the fujitsu-tablet_README.txt).
    Are they unnecessary after installation or do you provide this to uninstall everything ?

And what about further upgrade ? is it possible to add a source list to get the upgrade/stable version when available ?

Finally, i don't understand the option "BIOS hinge switch values reversed" in the setup control panel.

Thanks a lot for this amazing job !

patrick

Beans
    Distro

Hi pvdh,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

I made a clean install Ubuntu 12,04 (french ve) on my Fujitsu T4215, with magick rotation : woks perfectly !
    Outstanding! You are our second tester.
    I just hesitate to remove dkms install and folder (as explained at the end of the fujitsu-tablet_README.txt).
    Are they unnecessary after installation or do you provide this to uninstall everything ?
    Correct, the dkms install and folder(?) are necessary if you want the fujitsu-tablet.ko on your system. Those instructions are provided if you want to uninstall everything. You're right to point out that someone with a Fujitsu tablet PC might want to uninstall Magick Rotation but keep fujitsu-tablet.ko. Perhaps I should make that clearer.
    And what about further upgrade ? is it possible to add a source list to get the upgrade/stable version when available ?
    The "official" version 1.6 should be released shortly. With you we now have 2 testers confirming. Usually we like at least 3.

Currently there isn't a Magick Rotation PPA so you can't get an automatic update. We've chosen to work on our little Installer, and now with version 1.6 companion Uninstaller. With 1.6 the Installer works in Ubuntu, Mint (and hopefully Debian), Fedora/Redhat, and openSUSE. And an ARCH pkgbuild is available, but not our work.
    Finally, i don't understand the option "BIOS hinge switch values reversed" in the setup control panel.
    Don't worry about that. That only applies to the HP 4200 and 4400 models. They do just what it says, return 0 when everyone else returns 1, and 1 for 0. There is a FAQ on the site for them.
    Thanks a lot for this amazing job !
    You are welcome. Thanks for trying it out!
    Last edited by Favux; May 5th, 2012 at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Favux, me again. I installed it on my Fujitsu T730 running 12.04 x64 by renaming the folder on my Desktop as suggested. The installation seems to have worked, it asked me to restart, the DKMS was already installed and then I also installed the stuff from the MagickExtras according to fujitsu-tablet_README.txt. It also installed but after a restart nothing works. But I have the 'gerlach"-folders you asked for in the above posts.

I guess it might be partly because you have to have working Hardware Buttons? I managed to install those around December 2011 in 11.10 but they stopped working a few weeks later. I have five of those buttons, but only the very right seems to work. It is supposed to send ALT and when I press it, the HUD shows up or disappears.

In the terminal I am getting output when I press the buttons after
    sudo xxd -g1 /dev/input/magick-rotation

Beans
    Distro

Hi Cobuntu,

n the terminal I am getting output when I press the buttons after
    sudo xxd -g1 /dev/input/magick-rotation
    With the magick-rotation symlink present then the fujitsu-table.ko should be present. But to check do you see the symlink in /dev/input? Also do you see the gerlach folder in /usr/src? Do you also see the gerlach folder in /var/lib/dkms? And in the output of lsmod do you see fujitsu-tablet?
    I guess it might be partly because you have to have working Hardware Buttons? I managed to install those around December 2011 in 11.10 but they stopped working a few weeks later. I have five of those buttons, but only the very right seems to work. It is supposed to send ALT and when I press it, the HUD shows up or disappears.
    No, Magick detects the tablet mode state ACPI signal from the BIOS through the fujitsu-tablet.ko (SW_TABLET). The fujitsu-tablet.ko should have all the bezel buttons functioning. Do you see the bezel button's key code and a Press and Release event after you run xev in a terminal and press a bezel button? You can bind the Rotation bezel button to a rotation script, see the Rotation HOW TO, if you want. That's what Robert Gerlach's fjbtndrv has been doing.