Thread: GeForce 8800 GT wont display both monitors

Beans

GeForce 8800 GT wont display both monitors

I have two monitors hooked up to my GeForce 8800 GT. During my install the image was mirrored on both monitors. But when I finally boot into Ubuntu 12.04 only my main monitor is active.

I looked up information on installing drivers from the NVIDIA website and jumped through all of the hoops explained in this post, but was met with all the problems. So my results were that I couldn't figure out how to disable x server to install the drivers I downloaded from the nvidia website. I do have two nvidia drivers in my "additional drivers" or hardware or w/e, and I've tried both but nothing seems to fix the issue.

When i go to the screen resolution settings and click the "find displays" nothing new pops up. It also has my monitor labeled as a laptop. The native resolution is fine (1960x..), I just live and breath on screen real estate and would really have an issue on my hands if I could only use one screen.

On a possibly related note, the monitors are slightly different sizes and thus function at different native resolutions.

Any help would be great appreciated, I have next to no experience with linux so please be explicit with any directions.

Thanks!

Don

Beans

Re: GeForce 8800 GT wont display both monitors

Ubuntu thinks your external monitor is a laptop ?? You say it was working fine in 11.10 ??

Beans

Re: GeForce 8800 GT wont display both monitors

Yeah it's labeling it as a laptop. I didn't upgrade or use 11.10. I had win7pro installed and then created a partition for ubuntu and installed the x86 version of 12.04