Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: gTorrent: A Bittorrent client for GNOME

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

gTorrent: A Bittorrent client for GNOME

I'm starting a new thread to keep thing simpler, and cause I don't want people to glance over anyting of importance.

First off, the most current screenshots are attached to this post, I'll add newer ones as I get farther along in the program. Right now, gTorrent is a GUI only, it doesn't actually do anything yet, but I've only been coding for a few days, so all that is still to come.

Second, I need some artwork, specifically an icon. If you want, make an icon in GIMP, or whatever else you use and post it here. You'll receieve full credit for doing so, and get your name in the about dialog. Scalable icons are nice, otherwise a 64x64 or so png should work fine, and I'll scale it to whatever size i need. This icon will be for the application menu, and also for gTorrent's system tray icon.

If I get a bunch of good submissions, I'll likely have a runoff here poll-style

finally, any input is greatly appreciated, what does the gui need/not need, etc. what should the program do on top of simply downloading, if anything?

EDIT: doh! forgot the screenies

Update 6/22/2006
    gTorrent is now on SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtktorrent/
    the name gtorrent was already taken =/ gtktorrent is only what it is listed on SF as, the program itself is still gTorrent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zachtib; June 22nd, 2006 at 10:14 PM.
    Thinkpad T61p: 15.4" WUXGA Screen, Core 2 Duo T9300, 4GB DDR2, 512MB Quadro 570M, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD+RW, Intel 4965AGN+Bluetooth, 9 Cell Battery
    http://blog.zachtib.com

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: gTorrent: A Bittorrent client for GNOME

Quote Originally Posted by zachtib
    finally, any input is greatly appreciated, what does the gui need/not need, etc. what should the program do on top of simply downloading, if anything?
    Supporting multiple torrents in one instance [unlike bittorrent and bittornado] is a must imo.
    Also, the option to control speed and connections.
    And something less important: a web interface.
    Good luck, having another linux bittorrent client is great.
    Last edited by anodizer; June 15th, 2006 at 12:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by anodizer
    Supporting multiple torrents in one instance [unlike bittorrent and bittornado] is a must imo.
    Also, the option to control speed and connections.
    And something less important: a web interface.
    Good luck, having another linux bittorrent client is great.
    I'm not sure a web interface is that important. As long as you can chose to open a torrent file directly in gTorrent from firefox then its not as necessary. For me multiple torrents and a tray icon are the obvious ones.

Prehaps a peer list and a measure of the health of the swarm would be nice as well. Long term the ability to set priorities for both torrents and individual files would be a good feature.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Priority settings
    There are directory torrents, from which you only want actually one file or you want a file earlier than the others.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by G Morgan
    For me multiple torrents and a tray icon are the obvious ones.
    Those are the exact two reasons I started this.

thanks all for the feedback, I'll keep posting whenever I have updates
    Thinkpad T61p: 15.4" WUXGA Screen, Core 2 Duo T9300, 4GB DDR2, 512MB Quadro 570M, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD+RW, Intel 4965AGN+Bluetooth, 9 Cell Battery

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Just one question, what language are you making this in?
    / Intel Pentium 4 3.4 ghz 1024 mb RAM
    \ 6600 GT
    Running Ubuntu Edgy

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Please, please, please let it cache the .torrents. You don't know how many times I chose to open a torrent in freeloader and then later closed it, hoping I could restart it but it couldn't find the torrent that no longer exsists in my browsers temporary files.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Wallakoala
    Just one question, what language are you making this in?
    python

Quote Originally Posted by etc
    Please, please, please let it cache the .torrents. You don't know how many times I chose to open a torrent in freeloader and then later closed it, hoping I could restart it but it couldn't find the torrent that no longer exsists in my browsers temporary files.
    good idea, will do

Beans

please make this compliant with oink: http://oink.me.uk/faq.php#stats3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would like to contribute as well if this project is gonna be open source as im a noob programmer and would like to see if i can help or if im totally clueless

P.S: i dont know python but i want to learn it - its upto u if you're goig to release the code during development or not, im sure some other peeps might get a look in as well

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast