Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: Build Unity with 'Dodge Windows' and minimize/unminimize behavior

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HOW-TO: Build Unity with 'Dodge Windows' and minimize/unminimize behavior

Quote Originally Posted by nilarimogard View Post
    Like jsevi83 said above, it seems there's a bug with minimize when there's more than one window for the same application (but minimize with a single window works fine for me). This is how it's supposed to work:

1. If there is no opened window for that app
    1.a. Open a new window
    2. If there is only one opened window for that app
    2.a. Focus the window, if not focused
    2.b. Minimize the window
    2.c. Restore the window
    2.d. Goto 2.a
    3. If there is more than one opened window for that app
    3.a. Focus the latest used window, if not focused
    3.b. Open spread view
    3.c. Close spread view and minimize all windows of that app
    3.d. Restore the latest used window
    3.e. Goto 3.a

But step 3.c doesn't... it just opens the spread view but doesn't minimize the app.
    I've fixed the behavior to act like you described. While it works, the bug discussed earlier in this thread (blank after unminimizing) is very noticeable.

However, the behavior now works like this:

Multiple windows are opened -> Spread occurs on-click -> All windows are minimized on-click -> Last windows in focus will appear individually on-click.

For now, until the 'blank window issue' is fixed upstream, I'll leave the current behavior as is. However, I'll push the changes to my Github so you can pull them if you want.
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans

Filed the other day on the blank windows, actually many ways to cause
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/990867

Edit: I noticed in BamfLauncherIcon.cpp you changed windows to windowList in 2(?) places, wondering why?
    Last edited by mc4man; May 1st, 2012 at 03:42 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The spread windows behaviour and minimize on click is not working when there is only one workspace set in compiz preferences. When two or more worspaces are set it works perfectly. I don't know if that is a bug or if there is a reason why it happens.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Filed the other day on the blank windows, actually many ways to cause
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/990867

Edit: I noticed in BamfLauncherIcon.cpp you changed windows to windowList in 2(?) places, wondering why?
    I'll admit, I'm not the strongest C++ programmer. Where should I put the windowList variable? Is there something wrong with the way I'm using the vector?

FWIW, I basically just went along with what ojno did for the original patch.
    Last edited by isaacj87; May 1st, 2012 at 05:45 AM.
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans

Just wondering if you would be willing to implement the patch/hack submitted in this mailing list discussion? https://lists.launchpad.net/unity-design/msg09055.html

If it wouldn't create more headaches, of course

And this is the patch itself:
    Code:
    === modified file 'plugins/unityshell/src/PanelMenuView.cpp'
    --- plugins/unityshell/src/PanelMenuView.cpp	2012-04-11 00:37:25 +0000
    +++ plugins/unityshell/src/PanelMenuView.cpp	2012-04-15 14:43:24 +0000
    @@ -352,6 +352,7 @@

bool PanelMenuView::DrawWindowButtons() const
     {
    +
       auto wm = WindowManager::Default();
       bool screen_grabbed = (wm->IsExpoActive() || wm->IsScaleActive());

@@ -361,10 +362,7 @@
       if (_we_control_active && _is_maximized && !screen_grabbed &&
           !_launcher_keynav && !_switcher_showing)
       {
    -    if (_is_inside || _show_now_activated || _new_application)
    -    {
    -      return true;
    -    }
    +    return true;
       }

return false;
    @@ -528,8 +526,7 @@
         {
           double title_opacity = 0.0f;

-      if (_we_control_active && _window_buttons->GetOpacity() == 0.0 &&
    -          (!has_menu || (has_menu && GetOpacity() == 0.0)))
    +      if (_we_control_active && (!has_menu || (has_menu && GetOpacity() == 0.0)))
           {
             title_opacity = 1.0f;
           }
    @@ -538,11 +535,11 @@
             title_opacity = 1.0f;

if (has_menu)
    -          title_opacity -= MAX(GetOpacity(), _window_buttons->GetOpacity());
    +          title_opacity -= MAX(GetOpacity(), GetOpacity());
             else
    -          title_opacity -= _window_buttons->GetOpacity();
    +          title_opacity -= GetOpacity();

-        if (!draw_window_buttons && !draw_menus)
    +        if (!draw_menus)
             {
               // If we're fading-out the buttons/menus, let's fade-in quickly the title
               title_opacity = CLAMP(title_opacity + 0.1f, 0.0f, 1.0f);
    @@ -720,6 +717,9 @@
       int x = MAIN_LEFT_PADDING + TITLE_PADDING + geo.x;
       int y = geo.y;

+  if (DrawWindowButtons())
    +    x += _window_buttons->GetContentWidth();
    +
       int text_width = 0;
       int text_height = 0;
       int text_space = 0;
    It makes the close buttons visible on the menubar always with the window title so only the menu itself is hidden til mouseover.
    Last edited by x-shaney-x; May 1st, 2012 at 10:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by x-shaney-x View Post
    Just wondering if you would be willing to implement the patch/hack submitted in this mailing list discussion? https://lists.launchpad.net/unity-design/msg09055.html

If it wouldn't create more headaches, of course

It makes the close buttons visible on the menubar always with the window title so only the menu itself is hidden til mouseover.
    I like it, and for the most part, it works pretty well. Unfortunately, the patch seems to have an overlapping issue. Check out the attached screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Aw that's a shame. Maybe something changed in unity since the patch was submitted?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by x-shaney-x View Post
    Aw that's a shame. Maybe something changed in unity since the patch was submitted?
    From what I can tell, it looks like the dodge window behavior seems to screw it up. It's something about launcher position that tells where the window controls should be at any given time.

With the "official" launcher hide behavior (never and auto-hide), the patch probably works just fine.

Beans

Yes, that does make sense.
    I may have a poke around with it when I get some time and experiment.
    See if I can find the bit that deals with placement and see if I can alter it to keep a constant position.

Beans

This is really great! It brought back my interest in life

But what will happen when Unity team will release an update or a new version?
    And what will happen if only patch is installed from GIT?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast