Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: Build Unity with 'Dodge Windows' and minimize/unminimize behavior

Beans

Re: HOW-TO: Build Unity with 'Dodge Windows' and minimize/unminimize behavior

You were both correct I was in unity-2d, I knew I forgot to do something while setting up the new box to test this heh.

Though I suppose it's good to know that this only works for unity not unity-2d so my mistake wasn't all in vain.

Anyways, it did work and I've now installed it on my main Ubuntu computer and worked fine there as well. Thank you very much for this, I was immensely disappointed to lose this feature.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm testing it and dodge windows behaviour is working perfect, but there is no minimize on click. Also, if I open three terminals and click on the icon I don't get the spread behaviour to choose between the three, just the last one used gets activated.

I tried deleting .compiz-1 and restarting the session, with no luck. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Ubuntu 64bit
    Last edited by jsevi83; April 30th, 2012 at 03:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Like jsevi83 said above, it seems there's a bug with minimize when there's more than one window for the same application (but minimize with a single window works fine for me). This is how it's supposed to work:

1. If there is no opened window for that app
    1.a. Open a new window
    2. If there is only one opened window for that app
    2.a. Focus the window, if not focused
    2.b. Minimize the window
    2.c. Restore the window
    2.d. Goto 2.a
    3. If there is more than one opened window for that app
    3.a. Focus the latest used window, if not focused
    3.b. Open spread view
    3.c. Close spread view and minimize all windows of that app
    3.d. Restore the latest used window
    3.e. Goto 3.a

But step 3.c doesn't... it just opens the spread view but doesn't minimize the app.
    Last edited by nilarimogard; April 30th, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
    ...Things To Tweak After Installing Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

http://www.webupd8.org - Daily Ubuntu / Linux news and application reviews.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by nilarimogard View Post
    Like jsevi83 said above, it seems there's a bug with minimize when there's more than one window for the same application (but minimize with a single window works fine for me). This is how it's supposed to work:

1. If there is no opened window for that app
    1.a. Open a new window
    2. If there is only one opened window for that app
    2.a. Focus the window, if not focused
    2.b. Minimize the window
    2.c. Restore the window
    2.d. Goto 2.a
    3. If there is more than one opened window for that app
    3.a. Focus the latest used window, if not focused
    3.b. Open spread view
    3.c. Close spread view and minimize all windows of that app
    3.d. Restore the latest used window
    3.e. Goto 3.a

But step 3.c doesn't... it just opens the spread view but doesn't minimize the app.
    This is how it's working for me:

No window opened:

- Open a new window of the program

One window opened (focused):

- Program will minimize on-click
    - Program will unminimize on-click

One window opened (unfocused):

- Program will come into focus

Multiple windows opened (focused):

- Spread behavior will occur on-click
    - Spread behavior will stop on-click returning both windows in view with the last one focused

Multiple windows opened (all but one minimized, focused):

- Spread behavior occurs on-click
    - Spread behavior stops on-click returning only one visible window

Multiple windows opened (all minimized, focused):

- On-click will unminimize last window in focus

AFAIK, the minimize/unminimize patch (in its current form) doesn't minimize all opened instances after the spread view. I believe your expecting the behavior found in this comment: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-d...49/comments/58

However, I made some personal changes in order to get the patch to compile against Unity 5.12.0. I'll revert back to 5.10.0 and try ojno's PPA to see if I altered the intended behavior.
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans
    Distro

I've found another bug: if you select "hide launcher - never" in CCSM, then log out, when you log back in, Window Dodge is active. So basically, the window dodge behaviour is restored each time you log in and can only be temporarily disabled.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I found why it was not working. I don't use four desktops, so I only had one desktop enabled in compiz general options. When I added a second desktop (two horizontal desktops) it started working as expected.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by isaacj87 View Post
    This is how it's working for me:

No window opened:

- Open a new window of the program

One window opened (focused):

- Program will minimize on-click
    - Program will unminimize on-click

One window opened (unfocused):

- Program will come into focus

Multiple windows opened (focused):

- Spread behavior will occur on-click
    - Spread behavior will stop on-click returning both windows in view with the last one focused

Multiple windows opened (all but one minimized, focused):

- Spread behavior stops on-click returning only one visible window

Multiple windows opened (all minimized, focused):

- On-click will unminimize last window in focus

AFAIK, the minimize/unminimize patch (in its current form) doesn't minimize all opened instances after the spread view. I believe your expecting the behavior found in this comment: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-d...49/comments/58

However, I made some personal changes in order to get the patch to compile against Unity 5.12.0. I'll revert back to 5.10.0 and try ojno's PPA to see if I altered the intended behavior.
    You can see how the patched worked with Unity 5.10 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_bkPbbJlUk

Beans
    Distro

You can see how the patched worked with Unity 5.10 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_bkPbbJlUk
    Hmmm, that's odd. I just installed ojno's (patch developer) packages from his PPA and it doesn't work like that (i.e. no minimize all windows after spread). I'll send him a message and/or file a bug report to see what his thoughts are.

Concerning the other bug, I'm currently in the last 2 weeks of classes, but I'll have a crack at it when I find some time, but I'm currently experiencing the problem as well.

EDIT: I think I may found the problem to the options bug, I'll try a fix later on tonight and see if it works.
    Last edited by isaacj87; April 30th, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for this!
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Distro

I've found another bug: if you select "hide launcher - never" in CCSM, then log out, when you log back in, Window Dodge is active. So basically, the window dodge behaviour is restored each time you log in and can only be temporarily disabled.
    So, I've figured out and implemented a quick fix for this problem. It seems to be working just find for me, but shouldn't be the end-all solution.

From what I can tell, it wasn't the best idea to simply drop in the original dodge windows code into the current Unity as the way options are set has changed dramatically. However, I see no harm in how things are working currently other than it being sloppy.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast